We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

solar energy

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Martin 2 years ago.

Martin marcinpustynia

solar energy

31/07/2018 at 20:02

Hi

have anybody worked on option to use solar energy for the process?
I am in UAE and we have quite an excess of natural heat here
I was thinking about using spherical mirrors for melting process heat. and solar panels to feed remaining equipment.
any advises or ongoing projects ?

5 replies
3 subscribers
1 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: solar energy

new
31/07/2018 at 21:22

didn’t do such thing myself but it definitely worth a shot! last time i was in abu dhabi it was 55 degree and it’s quite possible you can reach the 170 for HDPE with some optical equipment. i would rather go for solar panels entirely (without the batteries even) , easier to control.

however, if you take a standard PID controller as in the extrusion/injection you could control a little stepper motor which controls the optic yeah, sounds fun and doable! so the chain would be :

Thermometer -> Arduino -> Stepper -> medium size parabolic like mirrors

disclaimer : i have obviously no idea what this needs, just guessing but i think you need 2 mirrors to heat a 70 cm extrusion barrel, that’s why it’s probably cheaper to invest in the panels just. my last experiments with those mirrors to heat water were rather so la la

keep us posted 🙂

starter
31/07/2018 at 21:45

I plan on doing mine solar when I start. This is my inspiration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnSew-tCuPo

new
01/08/2018 at 06:30

It can be usable idea for heating plastic.. no mechanic or electronics !
ok I know its for cooking but they reached almost 170 degrees with very small mirror and in a country without Hell like weather

GoSun Grill®

I would expect tube like mirror as the most versatile and low technology solution

the parabolic mirror will give way more energy but need to follow the sun for best effect ( can be made of old satellite dishes )

Im looking on solar energy not only cos of UAE weather condition. if u go for a trekking trip to Nepal u will find quite high in the mountain lot of places where u can buy drinks in plastic bottles . they carry them on their backs for kilometers to make some additional money but they don’t do the same with empty bottles . Just throw them behind houses. the ff greed plastic recycling facility could be a solution for this problem

new
02/08/2018 at 13:19

thanks frogfall
its close to my idea.
i found something about plastic and solar energy and plastic  :

but its way too complicated and waaaaaay too expensive for small communities somewhere in the middle of nowhere
looking for something easy for DIY with available materials.

at the moment looking for satellite antenna  to make a try with mirror

simple test gave me 100C at 4pm . so a more advanced solutions should provide 200C  🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪