We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

South Africa (General discussion and info)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Frederik Conradie 5 days ago.

Frederik Conradie frederikc

South Africa (General discussion and info)

23/04/2019 at 11:26

Hello

South Africans aren’t connecting on a local level.

Direct South Africans here for them to meet each other, discuss local issues and solutions and make announcements about local developements and news. We can create topics for smaller regions later. We are still too “scattered” and under-resourced for it to be useful.
Later on a “South Africans: Start Here” (or similar) topic will be good to summarise what beginners need to know to get started ASAP.
You gotta start somewhere, right?

Thanks
Frederik

6 replies
3 subscribers
1 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
starter
23/04/2019 at 11:43

Something to start with:
Experiences with building machines in South Africa

Experiences with building machines in South Africa

starter
16/05/2019 at 14:38

Leker Frederik,

Looking at the map, there are hundreds of people looking to get set up, seems like the biggest problem is sourcing cheap parts for the machines and\or getting investors.
I actually created a PP page of Facebook today, maybe we’ll get some traction on there-
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlasticZA/

Cheers
George

starter
16/05/2019 at 18:31

I am in Swaziland and I am interested in partnering

starter
16/05/2019 at 21:48

Hi @georgegee
You mention a lot of map pins. Ja, it would of been nice if they were all connected to actual people…but alas. Most seem to be dead accounts.
I’ve brought this problem to the attention of the One Army developers.
As for Facebook (“VleisBroek”)…I hate it.But keep us posted on what comes from it.
I want to keep things as local as possible. Meaning within a few kilometers from where I live. It’s about sustainability. City-wide meet-ups are fine from time to time. But for regular, ongoing projects, you need proximity. Especially for the township areas where public transport is awful.
See you around.
F.

starter
16/05/2019 at 22:53

This platform might not be working as well as it could for connecting local communities, though it’s very encouraging . Fb and instagram is the way forward for now, it’s just a means to an end\start. Massive scale marketing is needed locally to promote a movement, and for that, investment\sponsorship is key and what should be focused on. We’ll get there
To everyone, invite everyone
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlasticZA/

starter
17/05/2019 at 01:30

Hi, @brizo
If necessary, see if you can collaborate with people who are close to the borders.
Maybe some of the map pins in your area will respond:https://map.preciousplastic.com/
My understanding is that the borders are “soft,” but moving sufficient raw plastic across will probably be tricky. You should know better than me if regular border-crossing, to go to a workspace, is feasible. I haven’t been to Swaziland.
Otherwise try a search on general social media, (search for hashtags and place names, maybe.)
Or you’ll have to wait for some other folks to sign up here and find you on the map. Patience is a virtue.

Good luck
F.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.