We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Stainless Steel in Shredder

This topic contains 35 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Crystal wang 5 months ago.

Bill billa14

Stainless Steel in Shredder

11/07/2018 at 15:20

Using Stainless Steel in the shredder is a real NO NO
I have been using mine for about 6 months now and has worn badly
The teeth have about an 1/8″ gap in front of them now so not cutting well at all and the sides well there is about 18thou gap on each side of the teeth to the guide
If you are going to build one please make sure you use a lot harder steel of some sort to lessen the wear

35 replies
9 subscribers
1 saved
7 likes
sort on most likes
starter
31/08/2018 at 09:03

One further comment, and two questions, please!
After reading through this thread, is there any justification left for choosing stainless steel? It doesn’t sound too catastrophic to have a can of WD40 sitting next to shredders to give non-stainless parts a squirt now and then, if they are laid up, and not being used for a long time.

During normal operation, the rubbing action of material passing through should surely keep rust at bay! I am assuming that any oil on the plastic is undesirable, so.. Is lubricating the metal parts during normal operation best avoided? OR, if a small amount of WD40 gets onto the plastic, will this be removed when the shredded plastic is washed? Related to this is the question, how do you experienced guys treat plastic containers that have had engine oil, brake fluid, etc in them? Must they be washed with solvents / detergents *before* they’re added to the mix to be shredded?

My second question is, does anybody know of shredder blades that are made from engineering ceramics? My intuition still recoils from the idea of using ceramic in a tough engineering environment, but people who work with them insist that some of them are very hard, resilient, and perfectly machineable. Ceramic kitchen knives stay sharp for a long time! Some sushi chefs use them. Does anyone know if engineering ceramics would cut well, & be long-lasting in this environment?

dedicated
22/01/2019 at 06:55

the most applied theory in daily life is the harder the wearless..
here’s just reference for comparison:

Attachments:
dedicated
22/01/2019 at 07:00

Hardness unit: hardness vickers

I choose stainless steel 304 and common steel 1045 because they’re mostly used in daily life.

<span style=”color: #000000;”>Just reference, feel free to critize 🙂
</span>
but, to be note: wearness properties actually is not all about hardness, there are others parameters like size, angularity, applied load, crystality, etc.

starter
06/05/2019 at 03:25

Well,as a shredder manufacturer,the life of the blade is usually 6-8 months. If the wear is serious, you can consider replacing the new blade.

Viewing 5 replies - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪