We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Starting a local community in Rimini, Italy

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Filippo Giorgetti 1 month ago.

Filippo Giorgetti fil-italy

Starting a local community in Rimini, Italy

21/03/2019 at 16:07

Hello guys, I’m Filippo and I’m trying to start a new local community based in Rimini, Italy.

I have no idea about how to begin and to find the money we need

BUT

– if you would like to help us
– if you have some advices for us
– if you want just to share your experience

I made a facebook group called “Precious Plastic Rimini” and I’m looking for people interested.

Please comment and join our local group!

The more we are, the more we recycle!

We’re waiting for you!

Attachments:
7 replies
5 subscribers
1 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes
dedicated
21/03/2019 at 16:56

hi,
welcome to precious plastic 🙂

here some general points you can try always :

1. check the map for Italy, https://map.preciousplastic.com/. Try to contact as many in your area and figure out where you could place a work-space. It may be possible that you can create a little crowd founding with everybody in your area, in the ‘want to get started’ stage. Doing this is a little tedious right now but you can find people that way with possibly already some progress. You can also prepare a campaign on any of those crowd founding platforms and then contact them with prepared  material 🙂

2. do some more research here in the forum and on Instagram, eventually there is already a product or receipt which fits to you or your ideas. it’s a good idea to know in advance what you want and can do. the PP machines are rather just a basic entry to the topic. for instance, think of a sheet press, pizza oven, blow or vacuum forming.

3. lookout for scrap yards, recycle spots and machine shops; there is often lots of advise to get for free, even materials 🙂 It’s a good idea to go with the plans of the machines (only those you need) to some machine shops and ask for a quote or help, eventually you find friends that way too. there are always those ‘poligonos’, industrial areas with lots of small businesses, start with the metal workers/ machine maintenance guys.

4. contact out your local town halls, eventually there is some budget to get, for that you need to partner with a association which can do the paper work. fablabs have usually a good address book to help you.

after a month of running around, writing endless emails you may find lots of help, more than you expect. the subject is pretty hot and it’s getting even better 🙂

good luck,
g

dedicated
21/03/2019 at 17:52

so you have around 10 people in your area (30% – 50% of the map data is invalid, obsolete, over time). Buying the machines is around 2000-4000 Euro (~6000 when invoiced officially via public funds), so if you split up among you guys, you come down to 200 – 400 Euro per nose. What’s left is the space but as said if you team up with an association, they can unlock you government owned buildings/spaces for near free. But for the shredder : i’d watchout ebay for ‘plastic granulator’, just to make sure you can shred as much as possible 🙂

starter
22/03/2019 at 13:33

Thanks for your reply.

Right now I’m trying to get in touch with people interested and local associations but it’s not so easy as it seems.

Honestly I have not so much time to make this project and probably the people I’ve already found don’t want to spend so much money.

Anyway I’ll continue working.

starter
22/03/2019 at 13:48

Try organizing a little meet up and drinks with the local precious plastic guys. Up in Scotland, I’ve met quite a few people on here and we’ve discussed what we can do. One guy has offered his shed for us to set up our machines!

If you were to set up a proper workshop, you will need funds, as some of the guys mentioned, around 10k euros. But remember the EU is pushing hard to reduce plastic and there’s some money out there you can get if you push hard enough plus crowdfunding for these types of initiatives are good too.

Try out loads of options and be open to suggestions! We are all in the same boat.

Hope this helps

dedicated
22/03/2019 at 14:21

you could also just baby steps, make a campaign for the more 2 important machines: the crusher (around 1500 – 2000 to have something solid, 2kw min.) and any of those machines which fit next best : extrusion (cheap one: around 500 – 700), injection around 500 – 700 depends where you get it, compression : mostly scrap, around 100 – 200) could be done by your self with some basic tools you always need : angle grinder, welder and a drill press = lowers a lot the price for the machines to built since machine builders charge you a lot of the frame and even the hoppers. those tools you can get second hand, for no more than 300 – 400 euro, an invest you will never regret 🙂
g

dedicated
22/03/2019 at 14:33

and about getting in touch with others, with associations i can only recommend to visit their place, activities and seek for person to person talks. those folks are sometimes wired in a weird way 🙂

https://moma5-volontariato.jimdo.com/re-store/

starter
22/03/2019 at 15:04

Thanks very much, I will post here our next steps!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.