We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Starting a plastic recycling effort in Hawaii

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year ago.

Abe abekowitz

Starting a plastic recycling effort in Hawaii

29/04/2019 at 20:08

Aloha everyone!

I’ve been learning and ruminating on exactly how I am to start up recycling plastic.

My plan is to collect #2 plastic to start and 3d print items to sell in local stores. I have a great community behind me on this! Small businesses have agreed to collect plastic for me and sell the goods I make!

I have big plans, but am doing my best to start simple. I am an established local artist on Kauai and don’t have a lot of time available for the build process. I have some support pledged to fund purchasing machines and a location offered to me to put a shipping container to work out of.

It’s really enticing getting things off the ground! I can’t wait to start recycling!

4 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
30/04/2019 at 17:10

What a great place to start up a recycling effort. Not sure how you will be 3D printing with HDPE. You probably saw this thread using PET https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/the-first-3d-printer-using-pet-water-bottle/ . One item that might be popular and would consume a lot of recyclables are the small patio tables such as this https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/coffee-table-2/ . Every condo should have an ocean friendly table on their lanai.

If you need help, The PP V4 team just spent a Dutch winter in an unheated warehouse…It may not be hard to convince someone come out and help

starter
30/04/2019 at 18:24

Thanks, Stan!  Yeah, with some initial research I saw it possible to 3D print HDPE and upon further inspection I find that its challenging to do.  I’ve decided to start super simple and make HDPE boards for making outside furniture.  I think rocking chairs would be a great start as with a little creativity I could charge more per volume of plastic than other furniture items.  Of course, with this effort chairs and tables will come pretty easily alongside rocking chairs.

I had seen the video on 3d printing (quite some time ago, I’ll watch it again soon)

Glad to hear you also think patio furniture would be a good plan too!

I’d be stoked to have the PP V4 team come out and lend a hand! 🙂

Here’s a picture I took of one of my favorite places to hike!

Attachments:
warrior
30/04/2019 at 18:57

That is one of the most interesting rainbow pictures I’ve seen.

I wonder if for the tourist market, some kid participation might work. For example a coaster or tile form which the kids can fill with their choice of colored HDPE and then it gets pressed. Since they are there for a number of days, picking it up later works as well. You could also have seashell forms, etc. For limited number of cycles, a well constrained plaster mold can work as well. I tried a small seashell in HDPE  https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/portable-desktop-injection-machine/ . It retained a lot of detail. There may be other reusable materials as well. You may be able to create a version of the ceramic parties where people (kids) decorate or customize premade ceramics that then get fired.
Good luck, your shop sounds like a great idea

starter
30/04/2019 at 22:29

We teamed up with some gurus in this field, telling us when it comes to printing,  that HDPE, PP ,… is all crap compared to PET 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪