We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Steel type for cutting the shredder pieces?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Becky McC 2 weeks ago.

Natalia Lavie ntlavie

Steel type for cutting the shredder pieces?

11/06/2019 at 20:34

Hello people! How are you?

We are barely starting the process to build the shredder in our Design University here in Uruguay, we are about to buy everything needed. The first i have been asked by the supplier is WHAT TYPE OF STEEL SHEET DO YOU NEED?
I mean, there are different steel qualities: 304, 430, etc.

Any help on this?

And i have another really important issue to solve, where do i get these pieces from? what´s that piece called in english or spanish?

Thank you guys for any help you can provide to us!

Attachments:
6 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
12/06/2019 at 12:12

It’s a UCFL204 bearing. Should be available just about anywhere and they are cheap. As for steel if using stainless you probably want AISI 304 also known as A2, other grades are more expensive and no better for this application.

12/06/2019 at 13:27

https://www.thyssenkrupp-materials.co.uk/the-difference-between-stainless-steel-304-and-430.html

just a few remarks:
– the bearings UFCL204 output 20 mm is crap in many ways : you need to align all pretty good and even though, it may brake as reported multiple times
– stainless for plastic crushing is known a bad choice unless you want shred only occasionally mild stuff or food
– mild steel is ok for the entire housing, mobile and stationary blades can be in stainless too but if mild steel, you can harden them
– welding a stainless housing requires pretty good equipment; a stick welder can leave you quite a mess (anti spatter spray)

12/06/2019 at 13:37

so if want to get the max. out of your invest or you’re trying to crush PET, consider at least 32 mm hexbar & 30 mm shredder shaft and UFCL206 bearings, even though it seems a brutal job for this thing.

starter
03/07/2019 at 04:05

Thank you very much for your responses! So, as i see in the original blueprints from the kit, hexagon bar is recommended to be 27mm and shredding axe 20 (7mm difference), but you say it´s better to make it 32 for the hexagon bar and 30 for shredding axe, is 2 mm enough difference between them? Have you tried this already? Did it work for you?

And then, about steel and mild steel, i have read the thyssenkrupp link. Everyone says steel 304 is not good enough for this, i dont understand what´s better at last, please, just name it, and we will try to get it.

We want to do this first job a good working experience for after building it, so we aim to buy good materials for crushing plastics and creating experience, yes, we will use it.

03/07/2019 at 09:43

i think they didn’t recommend it per se, I hope; Please also ignore the recent recommendation to use wood for the shredder box or extrusion screw mount/frame.
the 32 – 30 is because those hexbars are standard here in Europe; The Netherlands seems to be an odd place … apparently it’s even raining motor couplings there.  Anyways, not sure it applies to south america but please us know what you found there. If you need help with updating the laser files, let me know, no biggy to send you updates. You can use mild steel for entire shredder if you know how to harden (easy) the blades, otherwise use mild steel for the chamber only. It’s also cheaper btw. The bazar has cheap sets but not sure about the coverage for your location. Here is an assembly guide; good luck.

new
05/08/2019 at 23:58

Hello!! I would love help updating the laser files to accommodate a 32mm hexbar. Thank you =)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.