We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Step #2 – Finding a piece of land

This topic contains 138 replies, has 84 voices, and was last updated by  Arthur 5 days ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Step #2 – Finding a piece of land

20/05/2018 at 15:07

Hey!

Before we go in details about a piece of land, make sure to watch the step #1 video on projectkamp.com and read this post here.

This topic is to discuss options to find a piece of land, i’m sure there are many places available but hard to find them all from a laptop in the Netherlands. This this topic is to share ideas, sites, listings, pictures of land that is available. You might even have a friend that has a piece available.

Specially in early stage we are quite easy, never bought a piece of land so would like to explore options. A few (flexible) guidelines though.
– Netherlands would be cool, otherwise or Europe.
– Close to an airport or train station (max 1,5 hour)
– Enough surrounding green land around it.
– River in it would be sick! Otherwise we will digg a lake 😀
– Possible to live there with multiple people
– Max €80K, i guess…

Hopefully you guys are able to help out! The person that finds the land gets its own statue with name on the land. Eternal Project Kamp fame ✌️

Attachments:
138 replies
47 subscribers
13 saved
32 likes
sort on most likes
starter
19/11/2018 at 11:14

Hi there!
I don’t post usually in this thread, but let you know that we are also trying a similar project in Spain. At the moment we are not searching for a land, but we are creating a website and also researching on renewable energy project that is not dependent of solar light and/or wind.

It’s good to see how this thread is getting higher activity. That means there are more and more interested members.

Regards,
Whitaker.

starter
19/11/2018 at 11:35

maybe also of general (educational) interest is this idylically located project in spain http://www.sunseed.org.uk/blogs/
this area is the only true desert in europe…..mindblowing nature,geology & history
…and the most honest tapas on the iberian peninsula – YUM!

starter
19/11/2018 at 11:49

terryball

Spain has lots of areas that are almost dessert. Almost no people live in those areas because people prefered to move to the city. There is an article in the internet that speaks about an area in Spain that is claimed to be the Iberian Stepa or something like that because almost no one is living there. There are tons of empty houses in that area. And that area is not preciselly small.

starter
19/11/2018 at 12:10

thanks for sharing your wits buddy –  from my experience in spain empty houses tend to be “ruinas” and although they look attractive you usually cant get a (re)building permit the last i heard – and noticed enough desparados  willing to rip off an unsuspecting potential buyer who hasnt done their homework 😉
interestingly, some of the vacant houses/ruinas in the almeria area are even said to date from the civil war era

the info about the taberna’s desert being the only real desert in europe is actually  sourced from the Andalucian government – please let me know if that info isnt correct (however,from experience seeing is believing 😉
If you have any constructive input or links regarding permaculture projects…please do feel free to share

starter
26/11/2018 at 04:53

I’m offering a rundown old farm, Belgium with approx 10.000m2 of land around, currently grassland with some trees *nuts, apple, poplars , organic . All material in place can be somehow reused (oak and larix woods, rooftiles and so on) , place has deep water source and lower portions function as water reservoirs, forest is near.
It has all infrastructure around,  but not a busy area, some 40 minutes from Eindhoven. I’m willing to offer this for this project to start, and some extra’s on the side if needed (tractor, tools, equip etc) .

helper
01/12/2018 at 12:12

I also found this website, English website for Portuguese real estate

Home

There are some great pieces of land in there, with buildings that need some TLC. Some of them have wells, dams, olive trees, also found a water containment lake on one of the properties. 😛

Another question is which district/ county would be most open-minded and cooperative for Project Kamp when it comes to building permits, off grid sewage treatment, transferring Agricultural destined plots to mixed residential, commercial, agricultural and even precious plastic industrial destined plots. Are there any other communities and or projects out there which have done this research already? That information would certainly help narrowing the search area down to the most “flexible” counties and districts. 😀

Perhaps looking at climate data for Portugal’s different districts could also help narrow down the search. Looking at factors like

– Solar Hours per year

– Altitude (Frost nights/ days per year)

– Rainfall per year (drought susceptibility)

– Water Table properties (drought susceptibility)

– Coastal or land climate

Plenty of rain and dependable water tables would certainly help with agriculture but maximal amount of sunlight and wind is preferable for producing renewable energy.  😉 Altough I’m not sure how much difference there is throughout the different districts in Portugal.

How about this old Factory with land on both sides of a river?

https://www.pureportugal.co.uk/property/case96-1-old-river-factory/

Attachments:
starter
01/12/2018 at 14:37

Portugal is certainly a popular destination among permaculturists (see https://permacultureglobal.org/users ).  Nice advantage is that you’ll be able to grow a much wider variety of crops and fruits compared to the north, if you have an area with milder winters.

Lots in Castelo Branco seem to go for very low prices, you can probably even find better deals when you browse the area in person and talk with the locals.
Maybe around Monsanto, if namepicking is of any importance:)

Just like anywhere else, building permits are required for all area’s, and might even need you to meet certain style-needs to ensure you blend in with the area. Again, you’ll need to check that locally, in the town hall.

Maybe the most effective way to approach this, is to make a clear plan and present that to the municipalities of your choice, preferably done by or with a local. I can imagine that some underdeveloped area’s would welcome a Kamp plan, to stimulate local activity, maybe they can even help you to find a good place…

starter
03/12/2018 at 01:07

I initially joined here since I admired the ideas of a low impact (no footprint) and sustainable living ProjectKamp. When so many enthusiastic people joining a new project, great things can happen. But over the weekend I was thinking about some of the above posts and started to feel that something isn’t quiet right here.

I mean, if you really want less footprints, why occupying a large area in the country side and create more buildings on it?

Nature thrives best in areas where humans are not present. Wherever we go or settle, we do have an impact. This is a major concern, since our occupation of the countryside is resulting in more loss of natural habitat all the time. There are plenty of these so-called ecovillages, probably mostly build with the best intentions, but in reality they are just another form of human settlement in areas that used to be nature or farmland. This has in reality very little to do with sustainability, regardless of the recycled wood or ecofriendly bricks used to build it.

If food needs to be provided and no footprint should be left, a truly sustainable farm would be a great idea. But such a farm is more like an organism in itself, blending in with its natural surroundings. It takes many years to develop a successful farm. But it doesn’t need lots of buildings, machines, solar panels, workspaces, windmills, sewer systems and lots of road (as in the initial picture) to provide food. But maybe ProjectKamp isn’t really so much about a sustainable and ecofriendly farm, is it?

Sorry for the rant so far, I’ll try to make my point now. If ProjectKamp is about little footprint, community, recycling and being truly sustainable, maybe it would be best suited in a place that has been taken from nature already, an old factory, office or other empty property. This way you can provide place for all the projects you want, without having to worry too much about the effect of your own presence in nature or permit limitations for your community building(s). As for your food, urban farming really needs new innovative projects. Your robotarm could assist to water and harvest for example. And recycling of nutrients and water in a closed integrated growing system is really about a sustainable future that we have to explore. Your machines, windmills, solar panels, plastic bricks will blend in much better in such area compared to the (Portuguese?) country side. If you really want to pave the way for others, then please don’t start by paving more nature.

new
03/12/2018 at 22:01

Hi members!

I was watching Monthly news #22, and found out you’re looking for something in Portugal for ProjectKamp. Since I am from Portugal, I got really excited on the idea and thought I could help. Unfortunately I don’t have land that might suit your needs but I would like to share some advices:

1 – Right now we are on a House market bubble at the main cities (like Lisbon, Oporto, Aveiro, etc…) so please, run away from that!

2- Land near the shore is very expensive, but it gets a lot cheaper once you go inside the country (I did it myself, and saved a lot of money when I bought my house and land).

3- The Government is trying to convince people to move away from the shore. Perhaps there is some kind of Government help (I heard some city halls from the interior help people restoring their houses).

4 – There are some stories about entire towns being sold cheap because nobody lives there! I remember one being sold for 600 000 EUR. (I know is much, but it was as entire town!)

5 – Depending where you build the camp, we have a good network of routes.

6 – The changes on the law force people to clean their land often because of the fires. That dropped the prices on some land because of the extra work people cannot do/afford.

7- Portugal is excellent for solar, wind and wood harvesting, so there’s plenty of energy for everybody (all but oil J ).

8 – People are very nice here.

9- The cost of living is cheaper, considering northern countries (again, stay away from big cities).

10 – Our plastic recycling has a lot to work on, so, there are some challenges worth doing.

Well, these are some reasons so if you need I could give you some help. The bad part is I am not a Real Estate Agent but still I know some.

Keep up your great projects.

Best regards,

Daniel Daniel

(from Portugal)

warrior
03/12/2018 at 23:04

nice place @robb, going to dive into that a bit deeper 🙂
I see your point @arihollander, valid. But I do think humans need to find a way to live in harmony with their environment. (i like to think this is actually possible 🙂 And compressing everyone in cities doesnt seem sustainable for the long run. However it does make sense to use existing infrastructure as much as we can. Either way thanks for brining up the points, keeps us sharp!

new
04/12/2018 at 13:14

hi,
here is the website “pure portugal”,
https://www.pureportugal.co.uk/
its made by sophie, a lovely woman from the uk wich lives now in portugal. i´ve joined her for a couple of weeks helping out around the garden and her house.
maybe she can help you, i´m sure she will love your project! there are quit a lot of different alternative project going on there.
maybe its a little help

starter
06/12/2018 at 13:14

Hey Dave and Katrina,
It’s Leão from Porto, Portugal we met at the Paris Fab City event.

Just saw your monthly news and would love to help you guys along in any way possible, i’ll leave my contact as I can’t change my email because I lost that account haha : [email protected]

There are several amazing places and projects going on in Portugal in terms of sustainability you will for sure find a welcoming place for all the amazing things you’ve been doing.

I could suggest looking into Amarante or Marco de Canaveses as it has several plots of land that full fills your goals:
– 45min from aeroport
– Local train stations
– rivers and lakes

Attachments:
starter
06/12/2018 at 13:16

Send me an email Katrina I have several other suggestions and we can talk more in depth.
See ya soon 🙂

helper
08/12/2018 at 10:56

Panama has a year long growing season, ample water,rain forest, beaches.
Even if you decide not to set up here, it could still play a big part and a place you might wanna visit sometime.Currently the country has no recycling program.It also has access to both oceans.

new
09/12/2018 at 17:31

If you are looking for a piece of land in Belgium you can take a look at this site https://www.immoweb.be/en/real-estate/for-sale they got many pieces of land for sale in Belgium.

new
10/12/2018 at 04:25

Hey Dave and Katharina, 🙂
Just saw the monthly news #22.

I am from Brazil and living in Lisboa – Portugal, since last august.I would love to help finding a land for PP Kamp!I am a post graduation student at NOVA de Lisboa University and I have a classes about smart cities projects.
As the teachers & the dean are extremely involved with municipalities and cares a lot about sustainability it would be awesome to help this conexion whit a few Portugal municipalities.

Tks!
Br,
Débora Montalvao

My email: [email protected]

new
10/12/2018 at 20:13

http://www.consultorrural.com/en/estate/farm-land is a good site when you are looking for big properties in Spain.

Viewing 18 replies - 121 through 138 (of 138 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.