We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Step #2 – Finding a piece of land

This topic contains 235 replies, has 135 voices, and was last updated by  Marius 3 months ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Step #2 – Finding a piece of land

20/05/2018 at 15:07

Hey!

Before we go in details about a piece of land, make sure to watch the step #1 video on projectkamp.com and read this post here.

This topic is to discuss options to find a piece of land, i’m sure there are many places available but hard to find them all from a laptop in the Netherlands. This this topic is to share ideas, sites, listings, pictures of land that is available. You might even have a friend that has a piece available.

Specially in early stage we are quite easy, never bought a piece of land so would like to explore options. A few (flexible) guidelines though.
– Netherlands would be cool, otherwise or Europe.
– Close to an airport or train station (max 1,5 hour)
– Enough surrounding green land around it.
– River in it would be sick! Otherwise we will digg a lake 😀
– Possible to live there with multiple people
– Max €80K, i guess…

Hopefully you guys are able to help out! The person that finds the land gets its own statue with name on the land. Eternal Project Kamp fame ✌️

Attachments:
235 replies
90 subscribers
28 saved
46 likes
sort on date
new
31/07/2018 at 23:07

This is not really related to finding land but it is another project out in the world similar to Project Kamp. Worth looking into to get ideas of how to build a sustainable community/neighborhood.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90207375/the-worlds-first-high-tech-eco-village-will-reinvent-suburbs

new
29/07/2018 at 17:29

what about costa rica? i am costarrican and working on the same ideas dave! if you feel the call around here, let me know, maybe we could co-create something nice. i have the land (enoughland, with river, ponds, waterfalls, forest, huuuge trees, space for animals, and more susprises),  and actually working on the permaculture master design (i am dedicated to permaculture and natural building) , the comunity where the land is, is call LA ESPERANZA, that means THE HOPE (epic huh?) i started reading more about your projects because this comunity needs one container set up to start recyling everything and cleaning the rivers! i am actualy working with the local goverment. here we definetly dont have that amount of laws, we are very free, and also the country goverment is pushing and helping more and more the people like us and our proyects!
[email protected]
Joel Vega (506-86761991)

Attachments:
helper
19/07/2018 at 00:05

Hi !
I know a way to find lands. It consist to search them by visiting pieces of land. Go where you think you can find your, than check if there is what you want, river, nice vegetation, nice trees,or other requirements. If you find the perfect one, contact the owner and propose him an offer. It will cost you less money because the owner didn’t have in idea to seel his land.
The negative point is that it take a lot of time.
The positive point is that you’ll have exactely what you want and it will cost you less money.

starter
17/07/2018 at 11:15

@anne-barbier, Thanks for your support.. I am more down to Vilafranca del Penedès over Manlleu close to your wood center… 🙂 I saw your full equipped shredder already.. cool! I might swing by to have a look at you you guys are doing. Wood + metal is a winning formula for me, and that with recycling plastic .. Speak soon! Lars

new
17/07/2018 at 10:49

yeah, that’s a nice area, we have our wood working center just around the corner, and soon a metal work shop. there are also the more cheap suppliers around but the best part: awesome beaches! The downside: There is also a nuclear plant and huge area of chemistry industry, I’d be happy to see projekt kamp there. count on our full support 🙂

starter
04/07/2018 at 04:09

+1 for help in North Carolina should you decide to cross the pond. I’m an hour away from Cordane, in Asheville, NC, and have built an off-grid homestead with harvested water and solar power with greenhouse, fruit/berry plants, among a beautiful hardwood forest. I’m already planning to build another couple small houses on my 1 hectare and a workshop.

Some of us from Asheville are already forming a zero-waste group and looking into large-scale wast re-utilization options (e.g. Konlix process to make bricks from trash). 45 minutes away from me across the border in Tenessee, there are some rural counties that have no regulation or building codes (e.g. Cocke County, TN) if you don’t mind bluegrass music.

Attachments:
starter
30/06/2018 at 15:15

I am in Latvia and have a place for sale with 2 ponds plus a Mill Pond and river, up river a couple of hundred meters is a big lake. Lots of buildings needing repair, old water mill, old brewery, Manor house, farm managers house and so on and they used to make bricks here…. 4 hectares plus more available,  hour from airport and capital, just I want more than 80K for it…It needs a community to make it live again! Seriously Latvia might be a possibility, it is in the EU so many on here wouldn’t have a problem. Land here is not as pricey as some parts of western europe. Maybe I could find something here for your Kamp if you have a better idea what you are looking for?

warrior
25/06/2018 at 22:39

sounds like an interesting location @lisedecoulandon! You got pictures/info of the land?

starter
24/06/2018 at 06:34

The Salton Sea in Imperial valley, California would make a great remediation project location.  Granted it is in the United States and might not fully meet some of the criteria but I urge you to at least consider it.  I think it needs the most help and attention because of how important this lake is.  Plenty of cheap desert land!  Go big or go home.  Whatcha’ think Dave?

Attachments:
p3p
starter
03/06/2018 at 05:06

Sneak peek time lapse  of a visit to the farm in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmyEvzgu7Nk&t=1s

Really thinking on this project, is there anything going on in the background?!

I wa reading about migrating regulations in Argentina and its sorprisingly easy when there is an “official” reason such as working, developing projects, home basing, etc… We have a really loose constitution in the sense of migrating burocracy.

Anyways, still interested to jump to wherever this could happen. I can recomend a few already runing places that we could add up on. If that is of interest in the comunity.

dedicated
27/05/2018 at 15:50

This is not the same but it could work well…

Hundreds of houses for sale at 1 euro in Italy

new
23/01/2020 at 15:08

Hello there!

I am a big fan of precious plastic. Your work is awesome!

I and a friend are currently working on trying to implement plastic recycling in our community by developing some projects.

Speaking with the mayor of our hometown (Béjar, Salamanca, Spain), I told her about Precious Plastic initiatives and she fell in love with the projects, especially with Project Kamp.

Béjar is a lovely place. It is situated in the centre of the Iberian Peninsula. It is rounded of nature, mountains, rivers… there’s an engineering faculty and even there’s a sky station! Please, feel free of searching for this great place in following links and in the website:

– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EpQVEbcTiI
– https://www.spain.info/en/que-quieres/ciudades-pueblos/otros-destinos/bejar.html

The thing is that the Mayor thinks that she can help Plecious Plastic to find a place near Béjar, in the middle of nature and maybe it would be possible to transfer land from the city.

If you are interested, please let me know and we can speak more directly.

Best regards and congratulations for your job!
Jorge

Attachments:
starter
08/01/2020 at 15:00

@davehakkens I hoped to receive some news with the v4 launch about Project Kamp. How are you guys doing?

new
16/07/2019 at 11:31

Hello everyone, I am new here but I foud this project so fascinating that I wanted to colab.

In a previous post frogfall talks abput using an already used but abandoned area and I think that it is a great idea, easiy archievable in Spain. Here exist the option of buying abandoned villages. I mean, not buying the individual houses or lands but the complete village as a hole including the sourroundings.
It has the advantage that the land is already ready to build and farm and the comunications to the main citys around already exist. Also this option will provide a lot of building materials that can be recicled from previous edifications and you can rebuild as work or comunal space old stone churches.

I leave you a link were you can check some of those villages
https://www.aldeasabandonadas.com/venta-de-aldeas/46-venta-de-aldeas-resto-espana.html

I hope it is helpfull

starter
19/06/2019 at 20:44

Dave Dave! Can we apply to collaborate in kamp? I would like to work there.

starter
14/05/2019 at 14:49

@davehakkens, we really expect an apology and a rectification of your statement ! it’s the worst insult and arrogance we’ve seen from you til now.

starter
14/05/2019 at 12:39

@davehakkens, starbucks, really ? how about you build a few of your own machines ? it’s enough to make some income for one, and you will finally start realizing what you’ve done to others with that so generous ‘opensource’ drawings.
all it takes is to get your hands dirty, from 8 – 2pm, 2 times the week only. in that you will also know what it means to be the real precious plastic 🙂

new
04/05/2019 at 00:16

Hi Dave,
Have you checked Alicante?

– Netherlands would be cool, otherwise or Europe. – Not Netherlands.. but nice weather

– Close to an airport or train station (max 1,5 hour) – Airport just there with cheap flights from Europe

– Enough surrounding green land around it. – Lots of land, but only green if you water it. Ideal weather for agriculture.

– River in it would be sick! Otherwise we will digg a lake. – There is a beach

– Possible to live there with multiple people. You can find massive pieces of land.

– Max €80K, i guess… or probably a lot less

new
04/04/2019 at 22:35

Bonsoir a tous,
je viens tout juste de rejoindre la communauté. Je trouve ce projet très ambitieux et incroyable. j’aimerais en apprendre d’avantage.. merci

starter
01/04/2019 at 19:54

@georg89, lovely, just lovely ! thanks for sharing, we will visit you on our yearly ‘robinson crusoe’ trip to ‘cabo de gata’ in september. we bring you some little gratis plastic machine 🙂 In case you didn’t notice, PP is moving to Portugal (see a few more comments above: from Katharina). A pity 🙂 There are are btw. entire villages in Galicia for 100K for sale, in a not to bad shape, more importantly : having endless drinkable water going though the land. Pretty much needed to make this one right sine the water crisis should hit Spain/Portugal latestly in the next 3 years. have a nice one, guenter

starter
19/01/2019 at 17:21

Hola personas de la comunidad ,he  descubierto un terreno aqui en Malaga,Spain, con una Hectárea  a 30.000€ muy por debajo de el presupuesto dado, os dejo el link aqui : https://www.milanuncios.com/venta-de-fincas-en-antequera-malaga/villa-nueva-de-algaida-205386020.htm , esta a una hora +/- del aeropuerto.
no tiene ningun rio , pero tiene olivas con lo que a la larga se podria cultivar aceite propio en nuestro beneficio. atentamente David.

starter
16/01/2019 at 16:20

Dave, since you want it to be in Europe and without strong regulatory barriers – I throw in Albania! There is plenty of untouched magical land, lovely people, the Tirana airport is easy to reach from almost everywhere!

We are a project working on the utilization of abandoned military facilities, bunkers and of course the soil they were built on/in.

Most of the land remains state property and there are not all for sale. But leasing it might be an option!

Advantages: General infrastructure exists and just needs to be repaired/re-installed. Bunkers work for multiple projects, no need to invest much in infrastructure or tech-, food-, or human-storage 😀

If the race for a place is still open, I´ll upload more pictures of land I come across our research trips! With the budget you can go far in Albania!

Attachments:
new
05/01/2019 at 20:02

Hi Dave,

Funny, I saw the phone block years ago and just found you again searching for plastic recycling ideas. It is a massive problem here on St. Maarten where I live.

I love this idea and would like to be involved.

My vote is to buy land in South America and I’m happy to contribute.

Looking forward to this adventure,
Josh Walker

lu
helper
27/12/2018 at 18:40

Hey Zuru/Pedro,
I’m in Lisbon and looking forward to help… at least getting people to coordinate efforts! 😉
Just sent you a direct msg!
jinhos, Luísa

new
20/12/2018 at 11:02

I have piece of land in Kazakhstan 

helper
08/12/2018 at 10:56

Panama has a year long growing season, ample water,rain forest, beaches.
Even if you decide not to set up here, it could still play a big part and a place you might wanna visit sometime.Currently the country has no recycling program.It also has access to both oceans.

starter
06/12/2018 at 13:16

Send me an email Katrina I have several other suggestions and we can talk more in depth.
See ya soon 🙂

new
04/12/2018 at 13:14

hi,
here is the website “pure portugal”,
https://www.pureportugal.co.uk/
its made by sophie, a lovely woman from the uk wich lives now in portugal. i´ve joined her for a couple of weeks helping out around the garden and her house.
maybe she can help you, i´m sure she will love your project! there are quit a lot of different alternative project going on there.
maybe its a little help

starter
03/12/2018 at 01:07

I initially joined here since I admired the ideas of a low impact (no footprint) and sustainable living ProjectKamp. When so many enthusiastic people joining a new project, great things can happen. But over the weekend I was thinking about some of the above posts and started to feel that something isn’t quiet right here.

I mean, if you really want less footprints, why occupying a large area in the country side and create more buildings on it?

Nature thrives best in areas where humans are not present. Wherever we go or settle, we do have an impact. This is a major concern, since our occupation of the countryside is resulting in more loss of natural habitat all the time. There are plenty of these so-called ecovillages, probably mostly build with the best intentions, but in reality they are just another form of human settlement in areas that used to be nature or farmland. This has in reality very little to do with sustainability, regardless of the recycled wood or ecofriendly bricks used to build it.

If food needs to be provided and no footprint should be left, a truly sustainable farm would be a great idea. But such a farm is more like an organism in itself, blending in with its natural surroundings. It takes many years to develop a successful farm. But it doesn’t need lots of buildings, machines, solar panels, workspaces, windmills, sewer systems and lots of road (as in the initial picture) to provide food. But maybe ProjectKamp isn’t really so much about a sustainable and ecofriendly farm, is it?

Sorry for the rant so far, I’ll try to make my point now. If ProjectKamp is about little footprint, community, recycling and being truly sustainable, maybe it would be best suited in a place that has been taken from nature already, an old factory, office or other empty property. This way you can provide place for all the projects you want, without having to worry too much about the effect of your own presence in nature or permit limitations for your community building(s). As for your food, urban farming really needs new innovative projects. Your robotarm could assist to water and harvest for example. And recycling of nutrients and water in a closed integrated growing system is really about a sustainable future that we have to explore. Your machines, windmills, solar panels, plastic bricks will blend in much better in such area compared to the (Portuguese?) country side. If you really want to pave the way for others, then please don’t start by paving more nature.

Viewing 30 replies - 151 through 180 (of 235 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪