We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Step #2 – Finding a piece of land

This topic contains 224 replies, has 127 voices, and was last updated by  Bram Peirs 1 month ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Step #2 – Finding a piece of land

20/05/2018 at 15:07

Hey!

Before we go in details about a piece of land, make sure to watch the step #1 video on projectkamp.com and read this post here.

This topic is to discuss options to find a piece of land, i’m sure there are many places available but hard to find them all from a laptop in the Netherlands. This this topic is to share ideas, sites, listings, pictures of land that is available. You might even have a friend that has a piece available.

Specially in early stage we are quite easy, never bought a piece of land so would like to explore options. A few (flexible) guidelines though.
– Netherlands would be cool, otherwise or Europe.
– Close to an airport or train station (max 1,5 hour)
– Enough surrounding green land around it.
– River in it would be sick! Otherwise we will digg a lake 😀
– Possible to live there with multiple people
– Max €80K, i guess…

Hopefully you guys are able to help out! The person that finds the land gets its own statue with name on the land. Eternal Project Kamp fame ✌️

Attachments:
224 replies
85 subscribers
28 saved
44 likes
sort on date
helper
24/07/2019 at 12:32

Hello @dicci
I have already replied about this topic of old abandoned villages. As I am from Galicia and I am totally involved on finding a piece of land for this project, I have already check them. I have found some many problems and why these abandoned villages don´t fit with us. One is the budget, these villages are increasing the price and nowadays are totally out of our budget, also the size of the lands (as almost all the land at Galicia) is not enough at all for a project like Project Kamp.
I totally agree with some of the good points of starting from a village like that, enviromental and social advantages, also for the local people who is already at that areas. But the downside of that is also the replicability, which is one of the main goals for project kamp.

Anyway thank you for the info and the support! 🙂

starter
15/07/2019 at 22:24

hi, good idea! I have a similar project. Life Union Project Camp. I would like to contact you in the future and make joint works. I couldn’t start to work because of some problems in our country. Trying to find space for camping project. See you next time…

new
28/06/2019 at 10:36

Hi Guys, I live in Armenia and I think that you can find everything you are looking for here.we have a small country, people are very gastropymic and friendly, there is little seizure, there are low land plots, there is little money for chewing panadbits.what you have in mind can be implemented here easily.

starter
14/05/2019 at 14:49

@davehakkens, we really expect an apology and a rectification of your statement ! it’s the worst insult and arrogance we’ve seen from you til now.

starter
14/05/2019 at 12:39

@davehakkens, starbucks, really ? how about you build a few of your own machines ? it’s enough to make some income for one, and you will finally start realizing what you’ve done to others with that so generous ‘opensource’ drawings.
all it takes is to get your hands dirty, from 8 – 2pm, 2 times the week only. in that you will also know what it means to be the real precious plastic 🙂

starter
29/04/2019 at 09:01

David I am already working on the polythene myself before I heard about you. I have a place and I have the knowledge. I am a mechanical engineer student and from last year I have devoted myself to clean up the Polythene and plastic waste and put them in reuse.

You can help me with it. I am gonna start the work from last week of May.

I am from India and I am gonna start work in Agra district.

new
04/04/2019 at 22:35

Bonsoir a tous,
je viens tout juste de rejoindre la communauté. Je trouve ce projet très ambitieux et incroyable. j’aimerais en apprendre d’avantage.. merci

starter
01/04/2019 at 19:54

@georg89, lovely, just lovely ! thanks for sharing, we will visit you on our yearly ‘robinson crusoe’ trip to ‘cabo de gata’ in september. we bring you some little gratis plastic machine 🙂 In case you didn’t notice, PP is moving to Portugal (see a few more comments above: from Katharina). A pity 🙂 There are are btw. entire villages in Galicia for 100K for sale, in a not to bad shape, more importantly : having endless drinkable water going though the land. Pretty much needed to make this one right sine the water crisis should hit Spain/Portugal latestly in the next 3 years. have a nice one, guenter

starter
30/01/2019 at 02:58

Hey Precious Plastic Team! My name’s Dylan, and I am an almost graduating high school student from the U.S. I have been planning on doing a gap year starting after this summer where I’m traveling across the country searching through eco-villages, non-profits, and WOOF host farms in search of a plot of land for a community construction idea that I call “The Community Shift”… and it, to me, sounds almost EXACTLY like Project Kamp! I’d love to put our ideas together and make both our plans realities. If you guys wanna exchange info I think I might be able to find a suitable plot of land for it, and then we can get the project started! I even might be able to get some funding from the college I am applying to or some of the non-profits I’ve been contacting

starter
19/01/2019 at 17:21

Hola personas de la comunidad ,he  descubierto un terreno aqui en Malaga,Spain, con una Hectárea  a 30.000€ muy por debajo de el presupuesto dado, os dejo el link aqui : https://www.milanuncios.com/venta-de-fincas-en-antequera-malaga/villa-nueva-de-algaida-205386020.htm , esta a una hora +/- del aeropuerto.
no tiene ningun rio , pero tiene olivas con lo que a la larga se podria cultivar aceite propio en nuestro beneficio. atentamente David.

starter
16/01/2019 at 16:20

Dave, since you want it to be in Europe and without strong regulatory barriers – I throw in Albania! There is plenty of untouched magical land, lovely people, the Tirana airport is easy to reach from almost everywhere!

We are a project working on the utilization of abandoned military facilities, bunkers and of course the soil they were built on/in.

Most of the land remains state property and there are not all for sale. But leasing it might be an option!

Advantages: General infrastructure exists and just needs to be repaired/re-installed. Bunkers work for multiple projects, no need to invest much in infrastructure or tech-, food-, or human-storage 😀

If the race for a place is still open, I´ll upload more pictures of land I come across our research trips! With the budget you can go far in Albania!

Attachments:
new
05/01/2019 at 20:02

Hi Dave,

Funny, I saw the phone block years ago and just found you again searching for plastic recycling ideas. It is a massive problem here on St. Maarten where I live.

I love this idea and would like to be involved.

My vote is to buy land in South America and I’m happy to contribute.

Looking forward to this adventure,
Josh Walker

lu
helper
27/12/2018 at 18:40

Hey Zuru/Pedro,
I’m in Lisbon and looking forward to help… at least getting people to coordinate efforts! 😉
Just sent you a direct msg!
jinhos, Luísa

new
20/12/2018 at 11:02

I have piece of land in Kazakhstan 

helper
08/12/2018 at 10:56

Panama has a year long growing season, ample water,rain forest, beaches.
Even if you decide not to set up here, it could still play a big part and a place you might wanna visit sometime.Currently the country has no recycling program.It also has access to both oceans.

starter
06/12/2018 at 13:16

Send me an email Katrina I have several other suggestions and we can talk more in depth.
See ya soon 🙂

new
04/12/2018 at 13:14

hi,
here is the website “pure portugal”,
https://www.pureportugal.co.uk/
its made by sophie, a lovely woman from the uk wich lives now in portugal. i´ve joined her for a couple of weeks helping out around the garden and her house.
maybe she can help you, i´m sure she will love your project! there are quit a lot of different alternative project going on there.
maybe its a little help

starter
03/12/2018 at 01:07

I initially joined here since I admired the ideas of a low impact (no footprint) and sustainable living ProjectKamp. When so many enthusiastic people joining a new project, great things can happen. But over the weekend I was thinking about some of the above posts and started to feel that something isn’t quiet right here.

I mean, if you really want less footprints, why occupying a large area in the country side and create more buildings on it?

Nature thrives best in areas where humans are not present. Wherever we go or settle, we do have an impact. This is a major concern, since our occupation of the countryside is resulting in more loss of natural habitat all the time. There are plenty of these so-called ecovillages, probably mostly build with the best intentions, but in reality they are just another form of human settlement in areas that used to be nature or farmland. This has in reality very little to do with sustainability, regardless of the recycled wood or ecofriendly bricks used to build it.

If food needs to be provided and no footprint should be left, a truly sustainable farm would be a great idea. But such a farm is more like an organism in itself, blending in with its natural surroundings. It takes many years to develop a successful farm. But it doesn’t need lots of buildings, machines, solar panels, workspaces, windmills, sewer systems and lots of road (as in the initial picture) to provide food. But maybe ProjectKamp isn’t really so much about a sustainable and ecofriendly farm, is it?

Sorry for the rant so far, I’ll try to make my point now. If ProjectKamp is about little footprint, community, recycling and being truly sustainable, maybe it would be best suited in a place that has been taken from nature already, an old factory, office or other empty property. This way you can provide place for all the projects you want, without having to worry too much about the effect of your own presence in nature or permit limitations for your community building(s). As for your food, urban farming really needs new innovative projects. Your robotarm could assist to water and harvest for example. And recycling of nutrients and water in a closed integrated growing system is really about a sustainable future that we have to explore. Your machines, windmills, solar panels, plastic bricks will blend in much better in such area compared to the (Portuguese?) country side. If you really want to pave the way for others, then please don’t start by paving more nature.

starter
01/12/2018 at 14:37

Portugal is certainly a popular destination among permaculturists (see https://permacultureglobal.org/users ).  Nice advantage is that you’ll be able to grow a much wider variety of crops and fruits compared to the north, if you have an area with milder winters.

Lots in Castelo Branco seem to go for very low prices, you can probably even find better deals when you browse the area in person and talk with the locals.
Maybe around Monsanto, if namepicking is of any importance:)

Just like anywhere else, building permits are required for all area’s, and might even need you to meet certain style-needs to ensure you blend in with the area. Again, you’ll need to check that locally, in the town hall.

Maybe the most effective way to approach this, is to make a clear plan and present that to the municipalities of your choice, preferably done by or with a local. I can imagine that some underdeveloped area’s would welcome a Kamp plan, to stimulate local activity, maybe they can even help you to find a good place…

starter
19/11/2018 at 11:49

terryball

Spain has lots of areas that are almost dessert. Almost no people live in those areas because people prefered to move to the city. There is an article in the internet that speaks about an area in Spain that is claimed to be the Iberian Stepa or something like that because almost no one is living there. There are tons of empty houses in that area. And that area is not preciselly small.

starter
12/11/2018 at 00:48

Hi Dave,
actually I don´t want to to come out as an ant tattoo professional 😉 … but:

if you use https://maps.openrouteservice.org it might help you to narrow down your search even within Portugal a little bit more. As you can use Isochrone calculation around any place there. Even if you just calculate one hour (!) isochrone areas around the ten biggest cities of portugal you have already covered 1/4 of the whole country. I suppose, if you would calculate it with two hours (which is one of your requirements) then you might have nearly covered the whole coastline of Portugal.
So, … I don´t think that the requirement of “2h away from a bigger city/airport” might not realy be helpful 😉

cheers Karsten

starter
02/11/2018 at 10:54

There is a town in New Zealand, Lake Waitaki for sale @ NZ$2,8 million.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-for-sale/auction-1664853168.htm?rsqid=ece1e0aaff15402ebf1434548d6fadff

I live in South Africa and we have a little town that is self sufficient. The Chinese visited the town to see how they operate. They even have their own currency.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orania,_Northern_Cape
I have a GuestHouse and if you want to come and visit us, I will take you to Orania.

Regards,
Danie van Heerden

new
25/10/2018 at 13:57

Hi Dave,

I’m Iggy (from London) and I run The Wildwork, a network of over 4,500 wildlife conservation professionals. I’ve been collaborating with a network of divers, business owners, conservationists, waste management activists, and NGOs in Eastern Indonesia. We’re planning to set up a collaborative workspace using your techniques on Flores island next to Komodo National Park.

We have big ideas for how we can use your technology and others to revolutionise the massive waste problem in Eastern Indonesia, which mostly doesn’t have good waste management infrastructure. In the long run, we’d love to use the waste to replace other materials like wood and cement, to tackle deforestation, pollution and climate change too… See the PowerPoint presentation of my plans so far, (also livestreamed on our FB page). We’ve got over 15 different businesses, NGOs, and environmental groups on board so far (see last few slides of the ppt). We’ve since also had Indonesian Waste Platform and DesignCrop add their hands in support of our ideas.

But I’ll cut to the chase about land – one of my supporters, Mikel (from Spain) is the owner of a dive/ecotourism island resort, and has bought some land he was planning to use for an eco growing and/or construction project. But he is very busy, and because of limited time and manpower, he can’t use the land for a project himself. I just got off the phone with him and after seeing your video for Project Kamp, and he would be interested in proposing this land to you guys to set up your community.

For a little more information on it:

– Terrain:

1000m2 flat land, easily accessible by road. This is ex-farmers’ land, vegetables will grow here. There’s a village of farmers 5min away who could help/be employees.

– Location:

20min North of Labuan Bajo town, Flores Island. This means around 20min from LBJ airport which is soon to be international.

– Power:

Not sure how viable wind energy is here, but already 6 solar panels installed with batteries – 1000watt/hour, power running, can easily be supplemented with a generator if need be.

-Water:

200-300m away there is a river, water can be rerouted and filtered to be drinkable relatively easily and cheaply. Construction of an artificial lake or water reservoir is possible. There is also a waterfall a 2min bike ride away.

– Logistics:

You would need papers for the people who stay there – perhaps to be registered as a mini-company or NGO, and probably to hire local people (we know many locals who would be very keen!). Paperwork could be complicated as Indonesia is quite bureacratic, but rules and regulations can be worked around relatively easily.

Other information:

Mikel would love it if you were planning to create eco-products, recycle, bring local people or tourists in every week to visit or learn, etc.

In Labuan Bajo, there is a very strong collaborative network of expats and businesses who are keen to protect the natural beauty of the National Park and surrounding areas, as the town develops rapidly with income from ecotourism. A lady called Pam who runs an eco-design company (DesignCrop) also owns some land and islands North of Bajo too, and I’m sure she would be very interested, so I have contacted her too and will let you know what she says.

I don’t doubt that we in Bajo have a lot to learn from you and your team. I myself have also dreamed of setting up alternative communities in the long run as part of the Wildwork’s aims, with a focus on creating a way of life from scratch that safeguards nature rather than exploits it. If we could work together with your project and our supporters in Indonesia, we could create something awesome together.

If you’re interested and you’d like to chat more, don’t hesitate to contact me via email – we can arrange a video call and talk about how to save the world.

Best of luck with your awesome projects and hoping to hear from you soon,

Raphael “Iggy” Coleman

Attachments:
starter
22/09/2018 at 19:57

I don’t know if someone has said something about Spain, but there is a huge area that has almost no population. It’s called “la estepa iberica” if I remember well. In Spain, there are TONS of places that you can buy. They are mainly abandoned villages.

new
17/09/2018 at 17:03

Здесь находится множество незадействованных заводов, Зимы холодные и снежные очень красиво. Звезды видно очень хорошо. Место плодородное и требует помощи! Прошу вас скорее прочитать это сообщение. рядом находятся небольшие горы, воздух свежий. Прошу вас, умоляю. Помогите спасти нашу природу.

starter
10/09/2018 at 22:45

Hi. Super good idea. Just bough a pice of land with two houses and 20000m2 of land in Sweden for 15000 euro. It’s super cheep and in the middle of the forest with river and a big lake nearby. 3h by train from Stockholm. Bough in June and planning to do the same thing as you are planing to do. Small houses all over for living and workshops. Big house with shared bathrooms and kitchen. And a big workshop of course. I’m starting the project in october. Pm me if you want some tip. (Buy a backhoe loader the first thing you do, helps a lot to plan the land and you can always sell it later)Greger

Attachments:
starter
20/08/2018 at 16:28

Kansas has an entire website devoted to giving away land to people who will move there. I considered it myself, but it’s the USA and you’d not want to get sick. You might want to talk to the people in Eigg in Scotland. They bought their own island and might be interested in having you join them.

new
20/08/2018 at 08:48

@timthomson, nice said. i’d love to see that. needless to say but at the moment v4 is designed with any consensus of the community, the v3 repo/site needs urgent updates, since a long time. i know personally quite some people wasting their time on pp because of that. as long pp isn’t really open up to a waiting and eager community it will stay as it is now: Dave Hakkens, being the biggest bottleneck, it’s far from a ‘open source’ project per se!

about land: land isn’t the problem, i know 4 communities next to me which dealt with that pretty easy. there are models to finance the purchase land with a group of people within 6 months just. The problem is rather to find the right people at all. There are quite some sacrifices one has to go through in such environment/project. Many of such projects fail in the long as I saw on my endless visits. However, I noticed that projects like this seem only to take off when those people were already friends long before. The less exposure/openness to the public/trespassers, the better! And mostly such people have a good job/decent income, needed for the funding model. I know only of one community in the USA which could manage without external jobs, can’t remember the name but they produce high quality cheese/kefir and they are able to pay all bills with ease…

warrior
19/08/2018 at 10:09

very much appreciated @timthomson! The original message came straight from my innerself, unfiltered. But indeed its very much about figuring out a blueprint for the human collective then my own little paradise. In fact “our paradise” will probably always be chaos and under development. So thanks for writing out your point of view, going to use that perspective more often in writings!

And a small update for everyone else here

Project kamp got a bit slow down because of Precious Plastic V4. However still very much on the to do list! Now we are mainly focussed on east and south Europe. Now looking into different countries/climates/visa/policies for each area to narrow down search… We will get there, just a bit slower

Viewing 30 replies - 151 through 180 (of 224 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪