We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Step #2.1 – Prepare to move. From truck to house

This topic contains 42 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  CHRISTIAN HELBIG 4 months ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Step #2.1 – Prepare to move. From truck to house

02/06/2018 at 22:26

The plan is to find a piece of land, live there and build an offline community. To start of I need to move 2 things there, my house and our existing workspace. The workspace is for later, the house starts here. Inspired by @mattia-io living in his Van it seems like a good solution for this project. I can fully prepare it in the Netherlands and drive it onto the land. Boom ready. In this way I can fully focus on setting up infrastructure and building a proper house on arrival.

So I got into old army vans! They are build super decent and the engines are often in good shape since they are maintained very well and driven very little. Its crazy how many there are around, they come in huge batches. (also goes for old firemantrucks) I found a 1989 Mercedes 609D Ambulance from the German army. Its been outside for quite a while in the last years and rusty as hell, fun project for the summer! Convert it into a camper/house.  I’ll post the progress here. It will also be used to drive around and research existing communities in Europe this summer.

Attachments:
42 replies
11 subscribers
3 saved
9 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
30/06/2018 at 16:34

fixing the interior! Fun thing to do. Making a plan and build. From super rough to super clean in less then a day. Yeey. Wrapped some cloth around the fibrewoool as an attempt to make sure fibres stay in and fixed it up with thin light pinewood. Had some chipwood laying around to cover up the floor.

Attachments:
starter
01/07/2018 at 01:30

No doubt Dave that when you decide to make and endeavor happen it´s going to happen. Congratulations for your focuss and your decission. Send more information when you are more advanced.

Regards from Colombia.

Jorge

starter
01/07/2018 at 05:51

Dave make sure you insulate the roof in your van nothing worse than trying to sleep and the condensation is dripping down on you !!!!

warrior
01/07/2018 at 22:35

Installed the solar panel! Before I start wiring electronics I first took a trip to my cable supplier, they got it all! Then installed a 220Watt/hour panel + controller + 2 x12V batteries to store the electricity. The 2 x 12V batteries are wired in series this makes 24V. I’m using 24 because the van(truck) has a dynamo to charge 24V, and by using 24 you can use thinner cables (:. The little black box you see it is to divide the electricity that comes from the dynamo. First it goes to the main battery to make sure its charged then to the extra battery. In this way we make sure we’re never out of power to start. The solar panel is only charging to the extra battery.

Curious to see how much power it actually gives since there are so many variables (angle of panel, clouds, time etc) Should be enough to charge my laptop and camera stuff..

Attachments:
helper
01/07/2018 at 23:51

hi Dave For the batteries to store the electricity ther is a super idea its work so good , im talking about PowerWall its a new energie solution from Tesla , take a look about that

starter
02/07/2018 at 02:59

@davehakkens Awesome project! I would like to know where do you found this van? Can you share the information? I would like to buy one for myself.

Best Regards

warrior
02/07/2018 at 11:52

You have these things called “legerdump” around here @volta. They mostly have big trucks but every now and then you can find a “smaller” one like this ambulance.

starter
02/07/2018 at 17:04

Or even better recycle batteries by building your own power wall 😉

This guy jehugarcia shares lots of information about battery cells

helper
03/07/2018 at 02:56

Hi @davehakkens For the water cleaner ther is many ideas to make one , according to my experience by the way im a hydraulic student , the best choice is to built a small water desalination station for that i can help .
for the toilet sanitation ther is a perfect solution its caled (change:water labs) , its has the ability to be placed anywhere and works without (water and no power , no plumbing) , take a look about that

warrior
09/07/2018 at 16:14

installed the bed. quite basic. Added some crates (which i love) on the bottom + space on the right side for other big stuff like a bike. Not sure if I will use this but also made an opening under the bed that you can open up. In this way I could still transport big stuff (like big sheets of wood, or plastic :O)

Attachments:
starter
09/07/2018 at 17:41

Nice to see the progress!

dedicated
14/07/2018 at 02:02

look great, good luck!

Viewing 12 replies - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.