We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Study about making a roof tile from waste EPS

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jesus 1 year ago.

jayvee jayveestrauss

Study about making a roof tile from waste EPS

13/02/2018 at 17:20

Good day. I’m Jayvee from the philippines and we have a study about using waste EPS (expanded polystyrene) to make a roof tile to be mixed with sand. I hope you can help us to find standard strengths (compressive and flexural) for this composite material and its melting point and heat resistivity. Thank you guys 🙂

4 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on date
warrior
13/02/2018 at 18:55

Welcome to Precious Plastic @jayveestrauss
Unfortunately, I don’t think anyone here can provide all the details you are asking for, those are normally kept secret because making roof tiles is more on the business side rather than an open source alternative.

In the other topic you replied, @karuu had mentioned that they use a ratio of 2:1 between plastic and sand, and I found online that the best ratio is around “70% plastic with 30% sand for best quality roofing tiles.”

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/start-making-roofing-tiles-out-waste-plastic-heres-guide-biashara/

Melting temperatures are hard to calculate because every plastic melts at a different temperature. If you mix LDPE plastic bags then you could use a melting temperature around 150°, if you mix many types of plastic then it will a matter of trying and testing.

Personally, I don’t condone this method for making roof tiles because you are converting a recyclable product into something that cannot be recycled again.

new
13/06/2018 at 03:19

Hi  jayveestrauss,

I hope that he following document could help you.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876610217326073

Good luck!

Jesus R.

dedicated
05/03/2018 at 14:30

Good things about the use of Expanded PS for roof tiles :
1. Generally white, easier to colour than already coloured plastics.
2. Easier to shred into a granule before mixing to sand, with a very fine grained, compared to other non-expanded plastics.

One of the challenges in my opinion is getting air bubbles out of the mixture.
For your question, I have no clues 🙂

starter
15/02/2018 at 04:22

Thanks for the reply. We just need the standard strenghts for composite plastic. Our professor said that there is standard for our material in ASTM (American society for testing material) but we cant find any. I hope you kbow someone knows it or you know where to find it. I appreciate your reply. Thank you. 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪