We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Sun glasses

riceandcarry riceandcarry

Sun glasses

04/11/2017 at 11:50

Hi all,
Here some pics of Adam and Eve. First two sun glasses fully assembled here in Sri Lanka.
All moulds are designed and manufactured by @leebaz at Colombo Design studio. Check them out.
The mould has inserts that create a groove for the lenses. The groove is a bit flat so we have to grind them a bit deeper manually so we need to redo them to produce a proper batch. Otherwise works really fine, we put them on a car dashboard during Sri Lankan lunch time, which is as hot as it gets and they stayed intact.
It’s a bit tricky to line up the hinges and fiddle those micro screws into the frame but can be done.
Wohoo sunglasses!

Attachments:
15 replies
3 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on date

In reply to: Sun glasses

helper
06/11/2017 at 13:45

Hi @Anris,
We are using mainly Polypropylene. That’s what the rice bags are made of here in Sri Lanka and we reuse them and turn them into bags. The off cuts we stuff into the injection which is pretty easy because no need for shredding.
It seems Polypropylene works much better for injection moulding than i.ex. HDPE. HDPE seems to need lots of pressure while PP is much easier to inject, so higher success rate.
Not sure if that is something others also experience.
Best regards from Sri Lanka.

helper
08/11/2017 at 12:49

For sure, @leebaz is the man! His Design studio is on Instagram @colombo_design_studio and his website is Colombodesignstudio.com
Aluminium moulds are not heavy so whoever is out there needing a mould get in touch with them and get one send over.

dedicated
04/11/2017 at 20:12

Wow @riceandcarry these are the first precious plastic sunglasses i have ever seen!
They are looking good, fun to see the plastic together with the glass and metal.
What kind of plastic did you use?

Best – Mathias

helper
08/11/2017 at 12:52

@margeryk for sure we don’t have a sourcing problem!
Those bags could be a good source as they most probably don’t have much coloring or ink or whatever they use to dye plastics so that could be good. If you get a textile industry heat press you can fuse them into thicker sheets or “laminate” other materials.

starter
08/11/2017 at 12:47

@riceandcarry Very nice outcome. Wonderful to see. 🙂

helper
07/11/2017 at 14:01

@anris The lenses pop into a groove, no glue or anything. On the last pic you can see the aluminium inserts that make the groove. The insert are in place of the lenses when we inject the plastic into the mould and are in the frame when we take it out of the mould. Then we pop out the “aluminium lenses”, clean the frame, pop in the real lenses.

If you have not build or have access to a shredder you could go for that clear packaging material that is widely used in many industries to transport goods form A to B (clothing, carpets and whatnot). That is mostly polyproylene and it makes clear objects which is cool. You can just cut it into stripes, feed it into the injections, off you go, no shredding needed.
Cheers from Sri Lanka,
R&C

starter
06/01/2018 at 18:42

Hello!
I just found out about Precious Plastic and wanted to use the technology in the US to make sunglasses, then I found this post!

Would you be willing to share your knowledge on this with me so I could get this started in Oregon, USA?

Alternatively, I would even be willing to purchase some of these from you to get the word out here on the US West Coast.

PLEASE contact me @

Facebook: MrZanderAshe
email: [email protected]
web: https://socioband.wixsite.com/zander-ashe

helper
16/11/2017 at 21:29

Me too @margeryk !! I use them as mini greenhouses for germinating seeds! There must be a better use for them. Or even just send them back to be refilled with pellets.

dedicated
08/11/2017 at 12:29

@riceandcarry The aluminium lenses technique is super innovative, your mold designer @leebaz needs some credit here.
And nice to see that you can spare the shredding procces with these bags!
Keep it up!
– Anris

starter
08/11/2017 at 01:14

I really like these. They should sell well, I would think. Excellent work.

helper
07/11/2017 at 13:53

@jegor-m
The frames at the exhibition were made by the guys from Barcelona. You find them as @talleresferica on Instagram.
Our lenses we get from an optician in Colombo, the capital of Sri Lanka. They were pretty cooperative.
Best regards,
R&C

new
12/11/2017 at 08:44

Hi all, and you, dear friend, have a very beautiful and beautiful story about your score and its speed. According to you, these are the examples I have mentioned.
The exact speed of the note was more precise

Thank you so much
Survey is a term used to make the facade of the building look. Nowadays, despite the presence of airborne pollutants, smoke and dust, as well as the reduction of the quality of the facade of the building’s stone and becoming cloudy over time, the need for periodic cleaning of the facade of buildings in The metropolis is felt.seoyab

starter
08/11/2017 at 01:16

We have a biomass boiler that heats our hot water for the central heating (and washing), and the pellets that are burned arrive in plastic bags. Lots of plastic bags. I am new to Precious Plastics and think that these empty bags must be all over the place. Just another potential resource.

Best wishes from Cumbria, UK.

dedicated
06/11/2017 at 21:40

Thank you @riceandcarry
I am also about to build an injection machine, and thinking about what material to collect, this helped alot! 🙂
I was wondering how do you attatch the lenses to the plastic?

warrior
06/11/2017 at 15:18

@riceandcarry
Hey, good to finally see the mould 🙂
Also I think I’ve seen and touched them at V3 exhibition, good job!!

Where do you get the lenses for these from?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪