We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Supposed to be this hard completing each machine?

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Judy.
Cadena cadena

Supposed to be this hard completing each machine?

06/05/2016 at 17:02

I know this is a bit off topic, but Precious Plastics project was supposed to be designed to be created anywhere and help places that produce alot of plastic waste like india. So i guess im wondering how any of the machine specifically the Shredder (since you need shredded plastic to use the other machines); how are any of the machines supposed to be easily recreated in 3rd world countries like india when people in places like canada, europe, or the United States are having trouble completing?
Has anyone actually completed the machines and could they give us advice on their methods of completing the machines?

4 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on most likes
helper
07/05/2016 at 01:04

Hi @cadena

1. What are you finding so hard?…… maybe I can help.

Something to keep in mind (my opinion only) that this forum / project attracts people from all over the world with varied capabilities, some may have never worked with their hands to build anything & you will also find, every country,town,village will have different resources available to it.

I don’t believe it was ever meant to be one size fits all, but as a collective community maybe we can all assisting each other to get the job done & adapt things when need be.

In your own community team up with people that have resources and capabilities you don’t, if available to you.

The area that I am in, it doesn’t have hack space’s or community workshops, but I do have like minded people around I can rely on for advice.
That said however, I’m choosing to build my shredder on my own & yes I have had to make changes, example… Hexbar 27mm is not that easy to get in Australia without paying a fortune for it, motor spec, type of steel, to help keep the cost down for me.

In regards to India, it wouldn’t be fair to theories on the subject on what they can or can’t do, people all over the world a very resourceful. Here is one good news story from India

starter
10/05/2016 at 03:16

I suggest you lose the 3rd world country mentality. India is a mess like Indonesia, but both have the capacity and do produce the parts needed to build the shredder. There are most likely sources available in your country for all the parts. It’s a matter of finding sources. Hexagonal bars are made in India, for example.

Don’t forget to network! Seriously, networking is key, otherwise you are left struggling for finding where to find material, where to have them cut, where to have them welded, where to assemble, where to use. You need to figure these out before you start, otherwise you’ll find yourself frustrated and left with your question you have right now.

Google and social media are your friends. Use them to your advantage and you’ll find support.

helper
19/05/2016 at 11:47

3rd world countries are full of resourceful people, and full op people who know how to use there hands, whereas the 1st world countries are full of people who have never even seen a hammer up close. In 3rd world countries they are capable of repairing your car on the roadside in the middle of nowhere, whereas the 1st world countries struggle to even tow you to a garage… I believe that it is easier for people in 3rd (and 2nd) world countries to produce these machines than it could be for us “civilised” folks…

new
06/06/2016 at 20:43

hey there, we coundn´t find a scrapyard in berlin, germany, selling old metal to private people.
so we found a good store in germany, for example hexagonbar m27 but only 50cm for EUR 14,23. + 5€ postage to germany. From ebay. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sechskant-Automatenstahl-SW-6-bis-41-mm-Abmessung-sowie-Lange-wahlbar-11SMnPB30-/121224012497?var=&hash=item1c3983a2d1:m:mpiNoX32XNj0jX-2thJo58A#shpCntId

they have a seperate internetshop where they although send to other countries: Belgien, Dänemark, Frankreich, Italien, Luxemburg, Niederlande, Österreich, Polen, Slowenien, Tschechien (but much more shipping-costs: http://www.metall-kunststoffhandel.de/versandarten/)
http://www.metall-kunststoffhandel.de/produkt-kategorie/blankstahl/automatenstahl-11smnpb30/ for some reason at this moment they are not offering the hexagon made from steal in there shop, but only in ebay.

we got all matirial we need, but cant find someone lasercutting the shreddingunit jet. mailing to companies since weeks. aarrgghh.

my sister wants to build the machines in india. will see how easy or uneasy that will work 😉

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪