We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Testing for Beam Collapse

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacob 1 year ago.

Jacob mugglebornnerdyvegan

Testing for Beam Collapse

23/01/2019 at 00:55

Already did a search for “beam” and “collapse” and couldn’t find anybody with any documented tests…  Essentially I’m curious what these plastics can take…  Wanting to find formal testing, something like what this guy did for aluminum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxY8Ii4TeQ0

Would love it if I could recycle plastic to build for a Geodesic dome’s beams and connections and a second story walk platform…

Uploaded the image of the intro video with him showing off his platform, if only he added a segment showing him piling on the weight until the platform collapsed…  Definitely need to know that info…

Attachments:
2 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
starter
23/01/2019 at 01:09

it would undertake quite some time to test this against the varieties of plastics (and mixtures) and extrusion machine specs. best would be probably to get hands dirty and test your extruded plastic against your specs. there are also simpler methods to test this, you could just hang a weight on a standard length of your preference…. at some point you will find your coefficient, ready to be entered into your software to simulate statics ….

starter
23/01/2019 at 02:11

This is what their documentation gives.  It wouldn’t take that long… especially if you just go with a basic I-Beam and reform the plastic… actually that’s another thing that would need testing… how much strength do you loose every time you reform?  Videos are needed… professional videos

Attachments:
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪