We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

The influence we have on bigger business's

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Emric Arthur 2 years ago.

Emric Arthur emric

The influence we have on bigger business's

05/12/2017 at 15:38

I came across this video, that as a member of a real community of problem solvers, kind of annoyed me. Firstly, it’s all about money, impoverished people, taking their waste to a trade shop and getting paid for it. What about the other end? does this plastic get recycled? by who? are they a conscious recycling facility? do they ship it around the world? if so why not use the potential of a set up such as precious plastics, which would continue to benefit the community further. If anything, these third world countries are the best set ups for the precious plastics initiative, since they have the time, resources and need for a small scale manufacturing system. am I right?

This leads to my second irritation, they use the word community to advertise this. Communities are not created through money, wealth does not create a community. What David’s work has shown to us all and the world is that a community is created through people willing to work together to make a solution. And so, as ever, big companies, such as IMB delude the world by convincing us that their solution is the key and annoyingly, anyone with the right amount of cash can.

It does make me feel proud to be part of a set up such as this when I see these videos, because although it is small in comparison, a group such as this, if it continues to grow, could provide people with far more than this shallow solution that IMB has created.

12 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
helper
05/12/2017 at 15:45

@karuu as a community friend, what do you make of this? do you see set ups like this in Kenya? just curious if you have come across any of this 🙂

warrior
05/12/2017 at 17:00

Thanks @emric you nailed it!

Classic corporate brainwash for maximal capital accumulation behind the deceitful veil of a noble cause.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Keep up the great work 🙂
Mattia

helper
05/12/2017 at 17:25

thanks @mattia-io 🙂

starter
06/12/2017 at 10:23

Actually, we do it a little different in Kenya. You see, we have all these garbage collection companies that collect garbage in people’s houses. Then they take these garbage to the dumping sites. The garbage collected forms around 70% of the total garbage. Then we have these other group of people whose job is to separate garbage at the dumping site and collect what is of their benefit. They normally pay a small fee to the cartels manning the dumping sites. Afterwards, the sorted garbage is then sold to the people who are recycling

dedicated
06/12/2017 at 10:46

I think what we are doing here is a disruptor to the big businesses If we give people the means to make some money, empower them with knowledge and give them the skills to innovate we could change the tide from the bottom up!!!. I truly believe in what we are doing here

helper
06/12/2017 at 14:17

Funny thing came to mind while reading this thread. Think on this. What if the INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION is coming full circle. 200 years ago almost all manufacturing was done by 1 or 2 people working from their house. Then along came the steam engine which, due to it’s size and complexity could not be kept and maintained by 1 bloke but it allowed products to be mass produced cheaper than the cottage industry. So because the new technology was to big it became the norm to house it in specially designed buildings and so began the need for the workers to congregate in said buildings. Over the years as technology has evolved the need for manpower to run it has diminished to the point that in some places there are next to no humans involved. However this same evolution of machinery has shrunk the steam engine from the size of an elephant down to ant size with no coresponding loss in speed of production which means that we are now heading back to the cottage industry model of living and the massive multinational conglomerates of industry are about to go the way of the dinosaur because they are not fast enough to keep up with the smaller faster bipeds that are going to overtake them. Learn from history or repeat it’s mistakes. Merv

helper
08/12/2017 at 12:33

@dinkumdunny take a look at the 3rd revolution on the web, you’re right, there is a suggestion that we are reverting back to a new era of “cottage industries”. Best guy to listen to on all this is Chirs Anderson, the Editor of Wired magazine. 🙂 I just hope these companies don’t overshadow what is being achieved here.

helper
08/12/2017 at 13:34

@karuu, when they take what they need from the dump, what do they usually do with it? do you know if companies use this recycled waste to make new products etc? thanks for the reply 🙂

starter
08/12/2017 at 13:53

@emric, yes there are tons of companies that use these wastes to make new products. For instance, we have companies that produce plastic water tanks made from recycled plastics
I have started to buy the plastic wastes myself to produce paving cabros and i also want to produce school chairs and desks once i get an investor
I also know of a company that uses the plastic waste for plasma gasification
There is also a company that uses plastic waste to make poles for fencing

helper
08/12/2017 at 15:13

Hey @karuu that sounds amazing! So you are looking for an investor? Are u looking for a cash injection for your business or do you need business advice also?

starter
13/12/2017 at 12:45

@emric, am majorly looking for an investor to assist with the purchase of machinery and also to help with funding of the pilot project. Business advise will go a great deal

DO you have people in mind who can assist me? I can also send you some of the paving blocks samples we have made using rudimentary machines if you like

helper
14/12/2017 at 17:32

@karru, I don’t have anything yet but I am working on it and will let you know as soon as I find something. 🙂

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪