We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

The story behind Phonebloks

This topic contains 20 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  JoelSherrard 5 years ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

The story behind Phonebloks

25/01/2014 at 21:00

The make sure we are all working towards the same goal we made this document. It explains the story behind Phonebloks together with our vision and the way how we want to achieve this. Hope you enjoy it!Feel free to drop any feedback or suggestions!

20 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
starter
18/03/2014 at 01:16

thanks dave 🙂

06/02/2014 at 20:30

DaveHakkens wrote: No we are not, other companies have the right tools and resources to make a modular Phone. We want to connect all those companies that care about a phone that can reduce waste, together we can create the best platform in the world. We love what Motorola is doing with project Ara, but we recently learned more about ZTE Eco Mobius which also caught our intrest.We don’t only want to create a new phone, but also an new kind of development, more collaboration, more open and getting the world (you) involved by sharing ideas and feedback.Phonebloks is the place where we share ideas about the new Modular phone, we will make sure to connect this with Motorola’s project Ara (in the future more partners) so they will use this in the development.Phonebloks is here to accelerate the process to create the new modular phone, in a more open/collaborative way.Currently we are workingon a new update video about Project Ara so you can give feedback and ideas on their process and development, we are also planning on doing a public hang-out to ask questions about it. Meanwhile also talking with new partners to expand the phonebloks community.It’s a long road to develop a modular phone in a new way and try to revolutionize this industry.But believe it’s the only good way to do it and we love it that you are helping with this! Dave According to your words, you want to create an open source platform like Android. Is there a company to develop the phone? Or let’s say: Is there a company designed the base of the phone and its development?

03/02/2014 at 23:39

DaveHakkens wrote: No we are not, other companies have the right tools and resources to make a modular Phone. We want to connect all those companies that care about a phone that can reduce waste, together we can create the best platform in the world. We love what Motorola is doing with project Ara, but we recently learned more about ZTE Eco Mobius which also caught our intrest.We don’t only want to create a new phone, but also an new kind of development, more collaboration, more open and getting the world (you) involved by sharing ideas and feedback.Phonebloks is the place where we share ideas about the new Modular phone, we will make sure to connect this with Motorola’s project Ara (in the future more partners) so they will use this in the development.Phonebloks is here to accelerate the process to create the new modular phone, in a more open/collaborative way.Currently we are workingon a new update video about Project Ara so you can give feedback and ideas on their process and development, we are also planning on doing a public hang-out to ask questions about it. Meanwhile also talking with new partners to expand the phonebloks community.It’s a long road to develop a modular phone in a new way and try to revolutionize this industry.But believe it’s the only good way to do it and we love it that you are helping with this! It’s going to be pretty hard getting most, if not all, mobile phone companies in the world to cope with each other and work together. There is already huge competition between all the major manufacturers and platforms or operating systems (like Windows Phone, iOS and Android) and I just think that if we’re going to appeal to them we should tell them why it will be a good decision for their company as a whole. For starters, competition will be nearly completely gone and no-one would have to worry about choosing between “This phone, or that phone?” Although some people WILL want to keep it simple and easy to use. This is why so many teenagers in Britain use iPhones as they are very easy to use (even though I quite like the Windows interface and its complexity) and because all they need is to: send messages: and play games. This just in- Flappy Bird. We’re doomed.

02/02/2014 at 21:23

137gawin wrote: IIs it going to have games/ Android market? When is it going to release? When is the prototype going to be seen? How much will the basic phone and the upgrades indivdually cost? I was wondering all the same things.

01/02/2014 at 11:30

IIs it going to have games/ Android market? When is it going to release? When is the prototype going to be seen? How much will the basic phone and the upgrades indivdually cost?

31/01/2014 at 06:32

DaveHakkens wrote: No we are not, other companies have the right tools and resources to make a modular Phone. We want to connect all those companies that care about a phone that can reduce waste, together we can create the best platform in the world. We love what Motorola is doing with project Ara, but we recently learned more about ZTE Eco Mobius which also caught our intrest.We don’t only want to create a new phone, but also an new kind of development, more collaboration, more open and getting the world (you) involved by sharing ideas and feedback.Phonebloks is the place where we share ideas about the new Modular phone, we will make sure to connect this with Motorola’s project Ara (in the future more partners) so they will use this in the development.Phonebloks is here to accelerate the process to create the new modular phone, in a more open/collaborative way.Currently we are workingon a new update video about Project Ara so you can give feedback and ideas on their process and development, we are also planning on doing a public hang-out to ask questions about it. Meanwhile also talking with new partners to expand the phonebloks community.It’s a long road to develop a modular phone in a new way and try to revolutionize this industry.But believe it’s the only good way to do it and we love it that you are helping with this! This project will change the course of people’s thinking and look around and smart phones are making will be a revolution in this area that you keep your progressAdviceYou are now docked on the rules of your project unknown marketIt is supposed to create a advertising materials to publicize the project and to improve his reputation and stimulate this market

30/01/2014 at 09:02

This will be so much better then what most of us have now. We all go through so much money with all these new phones and now you all have come up with an idea to just upgrade the phone you have now and still keep everything. It’s perfect. I love it

30/01/2014 at 00:22

The Phonebloks idea is in my opinion the best idea in the 21st century (for now). The Ara project from Motorola showed alot of similarities. Although I think this is not the way to go, because this doesn’t support the customize idea while it has pre-formed slots. That’s why I think Dave Hakkenshe should not go with any other function design than the original showed in the first video. Otherwise you have to change the base as well while you want to keep that. What is your idea on this?I am really looking forward to seeing this phone appear on the market.The best idea posted on this website is the different OS platforms it could support. I am only a bit scared this will not be reality: Motorola still is a Google company…. I just wanted to share my opinion with everyone. I hope this project will succeed in the next year.

starter
29/01/2014 at 19:32

Only frustrated me because I’m using my old iPad and it’s to hard because it faults.

starter
29/01/2014 at 19:30

That was best thing I have ever heard? I wish & hope to be your voice! But I doubt I’ll be good enough if millions already know…

29/01/2014 at 18:30

So when are you guys releasing Phone Blocks? I’m looking forward to them even if they aren’t a phone! I currently don’t have a phone and I’m doing fine with out one I just downloaded a texting app, so the main question is are you making app stores for it? And is it gonna be similar to Apple’s and Droid’s stores?

28/01/2014 at 22:41

In your document, you failed a drawn : In the back view of the phone , the blok volume is on the left side. But in the front view, it’s on the left side too. But if you turn the phone witch is in the back view, the blok volume will be on the right side 🙂 So is not the same phone witch?? 😮 😛

27/01/2014 at 03:40

We’ll try our best to make this phone a reality

26/01/2014 at 15:34

how about some pictures of module designs that have been working on? is there any yet?

warrior
26/01/2014 at 15:22

Of course we do, that is on of our key values!We only want to work with partners that are willing to set up an platform that will be opensource so anyone can make bloks/modules for it. We should all work together towards the same goal…

26/01/2014 at 15:10

So Phonebloks isn’t actually, you know, happening – you’re just giving away Open Source ideas to propretary phone manufacturers?!?! Great.How do I delete this account? :/

warrior
26/01/2014 at 14:30

No we are not, other companies have the right tools and resources to make a modular Phone. We want to connect all those companies that care about a phone that can reduce waste, together we can create the best platform in the world. We love what Motorola is doing with project Ara, but we recently learned more about ZTE Eco Mobius which also caught our intrest.We don’t only want to create a new phone, but also an new kind of development, more collaboration, more open and getting the world (you) involved by sharing ideas and feedback.Phonebloks is the place where we share ideas about the new Modular phone, we will make sure to connect this with Motorola’s project Ara (in the future more partners) so they will use this in the development.Phonebloks is here to accelerate the process to create the new modular phone, in a more open/collaborative way.Currently we are workingon a new update video about Project Ara so you can give feedback and ideas on their process and development, we are also planning on doing a public hang-out to ask questions about it. Meanwhile also talking with new partners to expand the phonebloks community.It’s a long road to develop a modular phone in a new way and try to revolutionize this industry.But believe it’s the only good way to do it and we love it that you are helping with this!

25/01/2014 at 23:34

DaveHakkens wrote: Phonebloks is not a mobile phone manufacturer. You’re not going to make a phone?:/ What about all the design ideas – both yours and those who have contributed to this site? Are you invoking Creative Commons licensing? Are phone manufacturers seriously interested in realising these ideas?Where is the project at???

25/01/2014 at 23:24

Create Video To How Use The Phoneblock

new
25/01/2014 at 21:17

DaveHakkens wrote: The make sure we are all working towards the same goal we made this document. It explains the story behind Phonebloks together with our vision and the way how we want to achieve this. Hope you enjoy it!Feel free to drop any feedback or suggestions! Good job! I am proud to be part of Phonebloks!

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪