We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Three tiny buttons, so many possibilities!

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  JoelSherrard 4 years ago.

Sennheiser sennheiser

Three tiny buttons, so many possibilities!

27/10/2014 at 23:14

Here’s a question that the community could help with:Let’s say your audio module had only three physical buttons to interact with.  What would you want these buttons to do and why? For instance (and just spit-balling here – please feel free to come up with your own): I would want volume up, volume down, and a mode select.  This mode select changes what the up/down buttons adjust, i.e. hit once to adjust mic volume, hit the mode button again to adjust headphone volume.  But maybe you want a mute, or a next/last button for song selection, or a maybe at least one little red button that makes the thing self destruct?  The options are almost limitless (even though we’re only talking about three buttons) but  what you guys want is what we care about.  So let us know!

15 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
04/11/2014 at 10:56

apple (and others) inline headphones have 3 buttons: volume up, volume down and an omni button. Hold for siri, tap to mute mic, double tap for next song, so on so forth. For those who don’t have inline headphones the third button would easily allow for duplication of that functionality.Mode swapping could be done in software easily (different EQ profiles, dedicated mic slot compared to 2 headphones out, no compromises no power saving best sound quality mode) and their order could be configured in software. The third button could be used to cycle these profiles. However most (all?) people aren’t going to remember that they were on profile 4 therefore to get to profile 2 they have to hit the mode button 5 4 times. So if there were a row of LEDs (say 6 or something) that lit up depending on which mode was selected it would help jog memory a lot faster. beyond that, remembering that profile 2 is sharing profile, profile 3 is heavy bass, etc is a hard task. So if when profiles were swapped a push notification came up briefly explaining the mode to help with memory would save the time of opening the app, going into settings and changing it manually. Having 6 or so LEDs allows for the DJ dance-with-the-music effect you were talking about too.And so in software you can decide whether the aux. button does inline controls or is a mode swapper, depending on the person.An issue i see with this is accidentally hitting the mode button by mistake when aiming for volume, so perhaps make it a lot stiffer to actuate, or recess it slightly, or move it around to another face of the block altogether. Unless you’re using a large blok i imagine this will be a corner blok to allow for both audio jacks and buttons, which require a lot of surface area, so if you put the mode button next to the audio jacks to make it harder to hit that would improve things. Just be careful of clearance.

new
11/11/2014 at 13:05

“I have a question for Sennheiser but it can be for all the community.Sennheiser is working about the sound block but I have a tip about this:As every phone has two buttons for adjust the volume your block will have the same buttons, but every time these buttons are very problematic because they are very breakable and spoil the design of the phone.So, in my opinion, the Phone will be useful and will look better if these buttons will be soft-touch not physical, in this way you can also put the buttons where you want (for instance on the back of the block or on the side) because they won’t give the slightest discomfort. Someone agrees with me?”I wrote this few days ago, and i hope this tip will help you during the building of your sound block.But I have another idea:Every phones have a speaker that give you a high sound but they aven’t the bass.Well, is possible to have, from a speaker, a lower sound but with a minimum bass? If you can’t put a speaker with this feature, I think you can use a vibration speaker.If you can mignaturize this technology into your block I think it will be the better and an awesome idea.Thank you for your attention

11/11/2014 at 16:29

I think than three buttons should be: volume up/down on either side, and a select i inte middle, on wich the select, is a pause/play function, when tapped once, a “next song/forward” when tapped twice and a “previous song/backwardc” when tapped three times.

12/11/2014 at 06:48

I think having 3 buttons on the module will be great. I’ve actually wished at times that my own phone had 3 buttons.Now for me personally I would like to have the two volume buttons and another button that acts as play/pause (press once), next song (double press) and previous song (triple press). These are the same functions I suggested in the idea/s I submitted to the Design the Sound-Blok challenge. I have these functions on my headphones on the in-line mic and it works great.Now that’s great for me but not everyone will want the same thing. As other people have said above they would want profiling options. Now I’m not a fan of having that functionality so I would suggest that there be an option in the app settings to control what the different presses of the buttons do. From what I’ve heard this would be possible as the Kernel is only going to use generic drivers for module classes (too much bloat if every module had it’s own drivers in there). This means that the specific functions would have to be run by using software that comes with the module.Now the only thing I really want to be done right is the quality of the buttons. I want to know when the buttons have actually been pressed, so really just having a click when you press it. Other than that, I can’t wait!

13/11/2014 at 03:30

Thanks for all these great suggestions! Do keep ’em coming! 🙂

15/11/2014 at 00:21

I have an iPhone and I’ve been using it for a long time but ever since I’ve learnt how to jailbreak I’ve fallen in love with especially one tweak Activator. It allows you to override the system commands to the courting things you do on the phone. There’s one feature that I figured out that is really handy. We don’t need 3 buttons. We can set other commands to one button, for example: When you’re listening to music and you want to turn up the volume you do it simply by clicking the Volume Button, but what if you could add another option and assign a holding command to the same button? You could then play another song for example. Or you could click both buttons at once and choose between option Play/Pause. I think people would really love that. It really comes handy while you’re running and dont want to take out your phone out, just grab your phone and look for the volume button and hold it!

23/11/2014 at 10:34

My idea is the switching in out jack, more in this tread.https://community.phonebloks.com/forum/view_topic/1/2389/Hardware-ideas/Sennheiser-sound-block

25/11/2014 at 07:49

I think two button will do. Because you can control music with screen(I think?).Or you can make users to select events.

26/11/2014 at 20:23

my little sketch.

starter
17/12/2014 at 06:32

Has a button for fast/inconspicuous recording. Both audio and video options- randallrbaker

18/01/2015 at 01:57

I like the idea of no more than 3 buttons which i completely agree. Why stop with the volume up/down/universal button?Why not allow the the buttons to be customization for the user to make as they see fit. I believe this would work best with phone bloks vision of making the phone your own. But if anything, if the button were to be used for volume up/down, I would make the third a universal button i.e. Long hold voice command, once quick stops/plays, etc.I also recommend without a shadow of a doubt, to have a lock feature for the audio with one of the buttons to make sure you don’t blow your ear drums (yes, its happened to me. Bit clumsy at times :-))

18/01/2015 at 02:32

Alright, people who own iPhone 5s and below should have the power button on the and the volume rocker on the left side. Android users can have all the buttons and the right side or the power button on the right side and the volume rocker on the left side.

18/01/2015 at 02:34

So we should have customizable button placements. Good idea right? Because my buddy used to have a HTC one m7 and he didn’t like the button placement and switched to a Samsung galaxy s5.

starter
18/01/2015 at 04:05

I would prefer the same buttons or similar to an iphone 4s but possibly a customisble button also!

starter
18/01/2015 at 04:07

I would also like shortcuts like on the iphone how you just swipe up on the camera icon and it opens your camera! or slide up the tool bar and be able to switch your wifi, bluetooth, airplane mode etc. off and on, And also adjust your brightness.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪