We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Tips for creating extruder bowls?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  pseudonymous 10 months ago.

Laura nobo

Tips for creating extruder bowls?

22/05/2019 at 15:04

Hi all!
We are very excited to start a plastic recycling workspace in the Dutch Caribbean.

We have been working on creating bowls using the extruder. We make these by wrapping the plastic around a metal bowl. One difficulty we faced is getting the first part of the bowl to ‘stay in place’. Whilst practising we kept the beginning of the strand in place using a wooden clothing peg. This resulted in a very ugly indent. Is anyone willing to share their tip on how the begin the bowl without using a peg? We also tried double sided tape but this didn’t work very well.

Attached an example taken from the Precious Plastics Bizar.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I have searched the forum but not found anything.

Thanks in advance for anyone who is able to help and share their wisdom 🙂

Attachments:
1 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
warrior
22/05/2019 at 20:56

Nice bowls!

I sometimes worked with textile threads/ropes which were glued together to create some kind of rope bowl (a long time ago).

To start I had drilled a hole in the bowl, through which I knoted the rope/threads, fixating it on the inside. Later I cut the inside rope/knot, leaving only the outside after removing the bowl.

Don’t know if this could also work with your technique. Not the knot of course, but by first creating a ‘blob’ on the inside by putting hole in the bowl over the nozzle, sliding it out and then start working on the outside.

Might take some practice.

Might not work at all.

It just reminded me of how I once solved a slimilar problem…

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪