Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

[Precious Plastic] Translating our content

This topic contains 79 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by  Luísa Pissarra 2 months ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

[Precious Plastic] Translating our content

20/04/2016 at 16:03

Hello dear members!

This topic is for everyone that wants to help us out translating our content. (download kit/videos/website) We love that! But to be honest we haven’t find a proper way to do this yet and haven’t really got the time to get involved. So this topic is to bring everyone together, maybe some of you have some great ideas or want to get started on something.
In the end the more languages we have the more people it reaches!

Good luck and thanks for helping out!

20/04/2016 at 16:17

Hi Dave, as I told the mail, I would like to help in translation, but need the font to make it look more or less the same way. A greeting!!

Toggle replies
1+
20/04/2016 at 17:33

Hi Dave! Thanks for replying so quickly.
Well, first of all I think the platform of this page allow you to create other-language displays, so our work (as translators) would be just translate every piece of the page and send them to you in order to start creating and completing that other language option for the people. In my case I’m interested now in helping you with the Precious Plastic project, so, if you agree I can start with the texts, putting every English text in front of the respective Spanish translation. What do you think? We can even use “Google Sheets” on “Google Drive” (or something similar) in order to let other people participate with translations at the same time without repeating things.

Toggle replies
20/04/2016 at 17:50

Hello Dave & Cie, nice to meet you all 🙂

Thanks for your answer. As I told Dave, I am French and I translate from English and Spanish into French. And I can subtitle video.

First of all, if we are several translators working on this project, I think it is necessary to create rules and a methodology in order to have a coherent result.
The idea of Google sheets is good: we can create a terminology file to be sure everybody is going to use the same terms. It can also be useful to ask questions if we are not sure about a translation or to share dictionaries and sources.

Then, we have to be sure of who is doing what so we don’t translate the same thing twice. Maybe we can create a file with each content and the name of the translator? If we are several translators of the same language, it’s great because this way we can also instaure a revision process and reach a better quality.

To subtitle video I’m using a free subtitling software (Subtitle Edit). To save time, we can create a subtitle file for each video and then copy it and fill in with the translation in each language. To subtitle with this software, you just need the video file and then you create a subtitle file within the software (file .srt).

As for the website, there is two way: as someone said before, we can translate the content and sent it to you, Dave. And you would be the one in charge of create multilingual articles. Do you know if this is posible with your website?
The other possibility is that you give us access to the website so we can edit the articles by ourselves. But this is more difficult and risky if we are several of us.

That it for now 🙂 Wait for more ideas.

Marie

Toggle replies
20/04/2016 at 18:35

We haven’t figured out the technical way of adding translations to our website yet. This is something we need to figure out/build. If someone has any suggestions, the entire website is on Github feel free to pull a request.

Toggle replies
21/04/2016 at 01:38

@mariel-2 This is the discussion about translating the Promo-video subs into different languages.

Toggle replies
21/04/2016 at 01:41

@davehakkens Actually, I wouldn’t know how to modify the website through this Github platform. I could help just with the translations of the different texts you have in the page, so… you are the boss here, so let us know how we can start doing this job.

By now I just started doing an Excel file with the different sections of he webpage, in order to have a kind of “map” of what we need to do. Tomorrow I can upload it to Drive and put here the link to it.

Let us know what do you think.

Alan

Toggle replies
21/04/2016 at 11:19

Hi,

Which software did you use to make the PDFs, I think to translate the blueprints we don’t really need the AutoCad files. Besides AutoCad’s really expensive. Could you provide the original files for the pdfs in the github ?

Toggle replies
21/04/2016 at 11:34

Yay! finally this topic is up!

Yes, English is global, but if we can translate this PP to any other languages it’ll be awesome!

“you can simply spread it around
make sure it
reaches your friends, uncle, neighbor
but also that farmer living
somewhere in the middle of Africa.”

i wana be part of it!

Toggle replies
21/04/2016 at 13:42

Sorry! I forgot to paste the link. Here you are: https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/precious-plastic-subtitles/

Toggle replies
22/04/2016 at 18:11

@davehakkens @rafaobejo97 @mariel-2 @sylvainv @nedthairi @simeng

Hey guys, I’ve just created this Google Drive Folder with an Excel file to organise ourselves. There are also, the original Kit documents (in the english folder [00 ENG]) and others languages folders I created to start working.

This is your folder and of all the other people who want to help, so please feel free to use it.

I tried to do it in the best way, but if you have other suggestions we can modify the structure and orgnanisation I’m proposing.

Best regards.
Alan É.

Toggle replies
22/04/2016 at 20:25

Thanks Alan for this preparation work!

@sylvainv I think we are both French, right? Are they other French translators? Maybe we could work as a time, what do you think? (You revise what I translate and vice versa)

Toggle replies
23/04/2016 at 06:04

For the website, the first step is to make it translatable. We can use https://github.com/liamzebedee/jekyll-i18n for that. Then translating is just a matter of editing a text file. I can explain once I set it up. In the meantime you can use the googledocs.

It would be easier if everybody has a github account.

The google drive is nice to know who is doing what, but we can also use github issues for this.

@davehakken I would be nice to have the original files with which you generated the pdf. Easier to translate directly into the file.

@mariel-2 yes I am french but I wanted to translate the content into Chinese first. I can review what you wrote though 🙂

Toggle replies
24/04/2016 at 21:25

Thanks Silvain! I will start translating right now (to Spanish), using the table (it’s editable by everybody, btw). I have a question, once we change to github is it possible also to know when a file has not been checked by a second person?

I will wait for the instructions to use github; last time I entered the site but didn’t know where to go or what to do 😛

Regards,
Alan

Toggle replies
25/04/2016 at 00:39

Hi! I’d like to help translating to Brazilian Portuguese. Do you need to share these files with me in Google Drive as an editor? How do we proceed?

Toggle replies
25/04/2016 at 08:22

Github sound easier in future since PP weby based on Github platform.
I’ll open up github acc then.

cheers guys.

Toggle replies
25/04/2016 at 17:49

Hi Dave.

I am an ecologist and Spanish-English translator. Congrats on fabulous work with Precious Plastics! I am happy to help with the translation into Spanish for the site. Will try to get familiarized with GitHub soon. Meanwhile, please take a look at the dubbed version of two of the videos. Another translator/announcer friend of mine made these.

Promo video

Collect your material

Please get in touch with me if this is something you would be interested in doing for the rest of the videos. We realize this is a low budget personal project, and we think it’s a fantastic one at that, but we aren’t currently in an economic position to dedicate a lot of time to translating and dubbing the rest of the videos for free. We certainly wish we were. Personally, I will dedicate some time to the communal effort of translating the website and pdfs as per my availability.

Regards,
Giselle

Toggle replies
26/04/2016 at 23:43

Good work Giselle! Please join the Google Drive Folder I created to put your name in the corresponding cells, in order to know which videos have been already translated. And of course, if you want to translate other things (website or pdfs), also put your name; in this way we won’t do the same translations.

Best regards,
Alan (Eng-to-Spa translator)

Toggle replies
26/04/2016 at 23:49

Hi @kathastrofica! I created this link to stay organised; there is an Excel file and also some folders for other languages. Please, feel free to open and modify the excel by putting your name in the cells of the files you want to help with.

If you have some doubts please tell me. By now we can work on Drive to go forward, while the other guys tell us how to proceed with GitHub.

Cheers!
Alan

Toggle replies
26/04/2016 at 23:55

Hi @nedthairi,

We can work in the meanwhile, translating the texts and other stuff and using the Google Drive folder; in this way we can go forward since now, if you have available time to do it. I’ve just started this week.

Toggle replies
27/04/2016 at 03:39

If we edit simple text files, like we will do. You can edit your file on your side, I can edit the same file on my side. Github will be able to join files automatically. Pick up the changes you made and the changes I made and merge them into a single file.

I am working on moving to a translatable website but I am having a little trouble.

Toggle replies
28/04/2016 at 20:46

I have created a few translations to Brazilian Portuguese and uploaded to the shared Google Drive folder… It’s still a mess but I’m already working on sorting that out.

I tried to edit the excel file but it was duplicated when I uploaded it back into GDrive. 🙁

Toggle replies
28/04/2016 at 21:41

Ok, I managed to remove that duplicate file. 🙂

Toggle replies
01/05/2016 at 18:10

Great job @emburaman! Very inspirating; I was very busy these days, but I will continue with the Spanish translations this week.

Keep in touch!

Best Regards.
Alan

Toggle replies
02/05/2016 at 18:38

@sylvainv Thanks Sylvain! I’m not sure I understood everything but I’m going to check github as well. I’ll tell you when I translated some file in French so you can have a look. I also would like to make a comment about you translating into Chinese. I am a profesional translator and normally, we are supposed to translate into our mother tongue (to have a better and more natural result). Maybe you’re binational? Anyway, you will know if you’re able to do it or not 🙂 As a translator, I just feel like I must give this advice 😉

Toggle replies
03/05/2016 at 23:06

Hi Dave,

I could translate in french and german if you want… but am not really sure how to proceeed. what do I need to do and where?

Toggle replies
04/05/2016 at 01:49

I also feel screwed by the AutoCAD stuff. It’s backwards to use expensive closed software for open projects. On top of that, I use GNU/Linux, So AutoCad isn’t even and option if I would have the money.

What about FreeCAD? Is that good enough to work with?
Can the AutoCAD designs perhaps be converted into a format that has more respect for human beings?

Mabye you could do a few posts on the FreeCAD forum? That may draw in more people who can help with this.

Toggle replies
06/05/2016 at 01:23

Hi Dave here´s the promo video in spanish for Mexico! we are very happy with your proyect and are planing in doing all the machines! thanks for this

Toggle replies
08/05/2016 at 00:13

since this website is made in wordpress, Dave could use a plug-in that is made by google, and this way the site will be translated in 99 languages

http://translate.google.com/manager/website/?hl=us
Have a look, it works great, seen it

Bart

Toggle replies
08/05/2016 at 06:29

Hi

How I can help to traslate in to spanish the web page and the instructions to build the machine?

Regards

Raul

Toggle replies
08/05/2016 at 22:14

Hi Dave!

I’m ready to help translate the website and the videos into Russian. Looking forward to instructions!
Maria

Toggle replies
Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.