We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

[Precious Plastic] Translating our content

Tagged: 

This topic contains 88 replies, has 57 voices, and was last updated by  Flo 2 years ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

[Precious Plastic] Translating our content

20/04/2016 at 16:03

Hello dear members!

This topic is for everyone that wants to help us out translating our content. (download kit/videos/website) We love that! But to be honest we haven’t find a proper way to do this yet and haven’t really got the time to get involved. So this topic is to bring everyone together, maybe some of you have some great ideas or want to get started on something.
In the end the more languages we have the more people it reaches!

Good luck and thanks for helping out!

88 replies
19 subscribers
16 saved
24 likes
sort on most likes
new
10/05/2016 at 16:28

A translation system for Jekyll is indeed a must. Then it’s a matter of translating a single text file. If you guys (Dave and Leo) can’t figure this out – it’s a pretty easy one so just pass it around.

About using Github – I would recommend not doing it, as people with less technical experience will have trouble dealing with it. Especially the pull requests 🙂

I think there should be some kind of “moderator” for the translations, that people can contact, send translated texts, modifications, changes and fixes. He must be technical enough in order to submit a pull request. It would be best if this person can actually accept and merge it, but simply creating it is enough to help the less experienced ones.

This way we can split the task in two steps where everyone without any kind of knowledge could translate a simple Google Spreadsheet and still contribute to the project.

What do you think about that?

starter
10/05/2016 at 19:56

Hi Dave! It would help if we could translate the videos. I’m translating a lot of stuff on Youtube and it would be my pleasure to translate your vids into german. So you may find a setting for that at your Youtube account. Thank’s for this great project! 🙂

starter
11/05/2016 at 18:46

Hi Dave,

Very good idea! My name Eric founder of Phoenix Fuels Canada (www.Phoenixfuels.ca). Our technology converts any plastic wastes to fuels / energies. Recently, we are building a new plant in Ontario. I like your idea and I would like to get involve. I already translated the video script into Chinese. Please let me know how can I download the video and I can put it together with the video.

starter
11/05/2016 at 20:09

Hi Dave,

I just finished the youtube online translation.; Please review it! Eric

starter
12/05/2016 at 13:12

i’m downloading your github file for translation.
i saw that your main website have the /en for english version.
i’ll update you for the /my version for malaysian.
i’ll try to finish this folder /my and we will try for /my extension.

and i’ll put this file in the shared google drive also.

cheers

new
19/05/2016 at 00:09

Hello. I am mexican and I have a good level of english, I can translate the information from the downloaded files form english to spanish. If you could just give me the format in wich you want it.

starter
25/05/2016 at 12:12

@rrmb65 @mariasharapova @elia16 This is the Google Drive Folder where you can put the translations of every section and file of the Precious Plastic Project.

Regarding to the format, I was thinking on doing in .txt or .doc, but you can work where you think is better. The important thing is to name every file according to the excel list there is in the folder.

There are also some folders for different languages, for the others you can create a new folder (e.g. for the Russian).

In the excel file you should put the name in the cell of the file you’re working on, in order to avoid two people to work translating the same file into the same language.

Let me know if it’s clear. If you have any doubt please write me ([email protected])

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4eBb9SvUgDlZlA1SVI3QUpDQ0U&usp=sharing

Have a good day.
Alan

helper
30/05/2016 at 12:40

Hi I would like to help I can make english to spanish translations…

starter
01/06/2016 at 04:08

Hi, i saw you drive document but i dont know if the spanish translate is not finished or im looking bad?

however, thanks for colaborate

starter
07/06/2016 at 07:12

Saludos desde Colombia, alguno ya tiene los planos o videos de la construcción traducidos al ESPAÑOL??
Gracias!!

new
07/06/2016 at 22:22

Hi, happy to help with the English to French translation.

new
07/06/2016 at 22:23

hi Marie, if you need to split the work to do some French translation, happy to help. Yves

new
11/06/2016 at 20:22

Me in Creole soon I hope

new
11/06/2016 at 20:37

Dear all,
Video subtitle
First if we can validate one way of working to translate the video
1) First we will need to translate and put only the subtitle it could be easier to focus only on subtitle and finish with subtitle first.
2) I thing we need to maintain this google doc Google sheet for the translation

3) Put all the subtitle (.srt) and excel in this folder Google folder

And put only google doc, google sheet and not pdf or excel we CANNOT edit them.

Then you can create a youtube channel for plastic precious

Another way of working:
Rather than to translate the website in 80 languages, as it is impossible to maintain.
It will better to have a wiki
example wiki.preciousplastic.com/wiki/Mainpage
And then it is easier to create a page
wiki.preciousplastic.com/wiki/video
wiki.preciousplastic.com/wiki/plan
wiki.preciousplastic.com/wiki/ etc….
And you can use your website for the News etc…. (You can have of course three language (English, Spanish, French) but each time you will need to translate it.
Of course you can use Google translate plug in or this solution https://localizejs.com/features/integrate
but still you need somebody to work on it. And you need to secure your website and maintain it as well…

You can take the example of the OpenStreetMap community they are using the wiki (Multilanguage)
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page
And each people can create page and translate in their own language.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2014_West_Africa_Ebola_Response
Hope it help, all the best FredM

new
11/06/2016 at 23:30

Maria, i can join

dedicated
18/07/2016 at 01:49

Hello,

Since this website is based on WordPress, I’d recommend using an extension for multi-language support such as WPML. Though it’s not for free, it offers enough functionality to manage content languages, permalink structure, etc.

I’ve briefly tested it in the past and I think it’s worth the money 😉

new
20/07/2016 at 06:15

Excuse me,

Can somebody help me, how to help translating the content. I’m from Indonesia n I just don’t know where is the place to download the content and where is the place to put it back after I’m done.

thanks

starter
02/08/2016 at 20:14

Hi,
My name is Miguel and I am a freelance translator. During the past 8 years I have made my living translating from English and French into Spanish and Galician. I would love to help translate Precious Plastic materials into my mother tongues.
I have already prepared the Intro video subtitles for you to see (they are in .srt format, so they should be easy to upload). I am uploading them to the Google Docs file created by @alanemilio and also attaching them to this message.
Looking forward to your feedback!
Miguel

new
11/08/2016 at 09:49

здравствуйте Дэйв! очень нужна ваша информация по обработке и переработке мусора, на русском языке так как познания английского очень слабы. излазил ваш сайт почти весь так и не смог найти чертежи по оборудованию, если вас не затруднит не могли бы вы отправить, или помочь нам с ними.
Ваш сайт очень помог в вопросе о переработке пластика, так как у нас маленький поселок и никто этим не занимается, а мусор растет вот мы и решили тоже заняться его переработкой, очень надеюсь на вашу помощь. заранее огромное спасибо! [email protected]

new
14/08/2016 at 15:17

Hello Dave

I suggest you add a layer of proof reading before uploading content translation as there may still be some eggshells to pickup.

Example : the home page of your site for phonebloks

https://phonebloks.com/

Hi, We Are Phonebloks!

We try to can change the way electronics are made in order to create less waste.

A correct translation would probably be “can change” or “try to change”.
Personally, I suggest this instead : “We are changing”

Just my 2 cents… love your project, good luck!

Alex

PS : I run a company (tech and media) and am curious to see what possible synergies we could develop. Feel free to email me if interested. http://therubixgroup.co.uk/

warrior
25/08/2016 at 17:52

Its fixed, thanks for letting us know!

new
30/09/2016 at 18:11

Hello Dave,

I’d love to help translating into German and I am sure there are way more people that’d love to translate too! It’d be a huge help if you’d post a small summery how we can translate (f.e. Google Docs?)!
I love your ideas and work! 🙂

starter
11/10/2016 at 07:35

Is there a spreadsheet somewhere or a glossary of the part names for the machines, at least? I’m trying to figure out what to call a “kladsettegenmessenrin” for example.

new
13/10/2016 at 22:56

PRECIOUS PLASTIK translation

Thought I’d share Alan’s link. You can find his comment in this forum. He posted it in autumn I think. I have already started some translation into German, so if you want you can check them and correct/improve them and add translations yourself.

new
13/10/2016 at 22:58

Alan made this awesome Google Drive document (PRECIOUS PLASTIK translation) back in april 🙂

starter
20/10/2016 at 13:27

hallo every one
i will be honest and say i am not really familiar with technology and websites stuff so ill be direct….. i have a free time to do what ever you guys want me to do and i can translate from english to arabic so someone please give the instructions and i will try my best doing it perfectly.
Peace ! 😀

new
30/10/2016 at 15:58

Hello Dave! I can translate the content to the Portuguese of Brazil, and with that we can reach an understanding over 400 million people who speak that language. Should I commit any incorrectness have friends to help solve.

starter
09/12/2016 at 19:36

Hello everyone,

I have been reviewing all the comments and I only notice that no one really updated since last month. So far, two options exist:
• either use github and translate through a plug-in (Jekyll) – a method, which was presented by sylvainv wanderer and that goes as following:
o For the website, the first step is to make it translatable. We can use https://github.com/liamzebedee/jekyll-i18n for that.
Then translating is just a matter of editing a text file. I can explain once I set it up. It would be easier if everybody has a github account.
• Either use Google Drive and translate the files contained in the files – a method, which was presented by alanemilio, and which is, according to me, easier for now.
So, if you want to help translating, please follow this link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4eBb9SvUgDlZlA1SVI3QUpDQ0U
And read the following documents before starting anything:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13SboMOISy6w0C6CaIFEuX9TN0JlknUlsA9UzEvo8Dfk/edit
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CuLoTVu93-z1p8A5BMu187OPaxWWp7j3duh2-KF1CfM/edit#gid=1404751482
I will soon update the file for the newcomers, uploading a file with the file to be translated. So far, I have been saving the html page and then translated it with SDL Trados and I guess it will be easier for everyone so.
@davehakkens Could you tell us what would be easier for you to implement, translated files in .html or in .doc format ?

warrior
12/12/2016 at 22:47

Hi @matthieu-m. I think we’ve already gotten pretty far with the system behind the website itself. Have a look at our Github, or this commit in particular. I don’t know the details but if I remember correctly the only thing missing was a language selector and obviously the translations itself.

starter
13/12/2016 at 01:18

Hi @davehakkens, thank you for replying quickly. I had read that the plugin Jekyll would be used to provide a multilingual website. I will see on Github with the guy who wrote the post and I’ll let you know.

Viewing 30 replies - 31 through 60 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘[Precious Plastic] Translating our content’ is closed to new replies.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪