We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Transparent Plastics

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Chris 2 weeks ago.

Jamie jamiebc

Transparent Plastics

22/11/2019 at 16:43

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to create some clear plastic rhinestones from recycled plastics. Is this possible? It seems like plastic loses its transparency when it is heated. Is this true?

Thanks,

Jamie

3 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved

In reply to: Transparent Plastics

warrior
22/11/2019 at 21:40

If you search the forum for PET and transparency, you may find some threads on the topic. If I remember correctly, they stated that fine temperature control and dry material were key. It was not an easy process, though small scale may help . Also depends on how transparent as opposed to translucent is good enough.

Good luck

starter
23/11/2019 at 19:13

Thank you s2018! I have found some info on the topic in the threads.

starter
23/11/2019 at 19:41

I have accomplished it with Acrylic; but it’s not easy. The heat has to be set right at it’s slumping temp, and it takes a massive amount of pressure to move it. If you get too hot, the acrylic will begin to vaporize. It smell horrible, and the fumes are no good to breath in; plus excessive vapors do not mix with air very well, and have a violent reaction (explodes). The explosion doesn’t make a boom sound, it makes a very loud CRACK sound. It can destroy equipment.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪