We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Transportation

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Pablo Calles 3 years ago.

Pablo Calles pablocalles

Transportation

31/05/2018 at 00:46

Bicycles might be a good option for transportation inside the village. Old bikes can be used as a base and everyone could do some upgrades like a basket for transporting extra stuff, or using old electronics for producing energy and therefore light. I will be working on this during the summer but here is a prototype of the project!

Attachments:
6 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
5 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Transportation

helper
31/05/2018 at 09:48

Awesome idea! I think another cool transportation option would be electric longboards. You can carry a good amount of weight to move random objects around along with ride them. It’s possible to charge them with renewable energy.Bikes are the obvious route though. Just including the idea!

starter
02/06/2018 at 07:11

Dynamo hubs are readily available for powering lights. You will just need someone with wheelbuilding experience and about $40 per bike for spokes and nipples. Bike tourists the world over will tell you there’s no reason to to reinvent the wh- I mean… dynamo. 🙂

starter
12/06/2018 at 19:22

Have you considered the idea of Ebikes? There’s a ton of DIY stuff out there for them now. I think they could really help with transportation speed around the campus and into town if need be. This concept doesn’t need to be restricted to bikes either. With some simple modifications we could make these into some kind of 3-4 wheel hauler for moving projects around and into test sites. Especially useful for moving materials during construction. I saw another guy’s project on here where he was making powerwalls out of recycled laptop batteries (xxxolivierxxx). The same batteries could be used to make powerpacks for the Ebikes. We could even have a charging and swap station where these packs could be swapped out for a new one when they got low.

Im personally very interested in the energy systems of this community so the idea of a vehicle system that can tap straight into these renewable distributed sources is very appealing to me. Im thinking if we can get a really solid energy grid going, we can even sell some of it back to the main grid for some passive income to cut into the baseline cost of the community .

If the idea is interesting to you, message me back and we could meet online for a brainstorm or just keep throwing ideas around on here.

starter
03/08/2018 at 19:41

Hi @tylerlinner!
Yes, dynamo could work. We can even apply inverse engineering to one of those. Remember that the purpose is finding a way to do it ourselves, with accesible materials and tools; that’s the challenge.

starter
03/08/2018 at 19:47

Hey @rockethammer!
Sounds great! I am actually on an Island 🙂 and internet just doesn’t work for an online meeting, so as soon as I return home (couple of weeks) I will contact you. We actually share the same passion for renewable energy

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪