We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

type of metal using in molds building

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Houssem Eddine 2 years ago.

Houssem Eddine sabre

type of metal using in molds building

27/06/2016 at 17:32

Hi
My name is houssem.
I live and study here in algeria .
I love so much dave videos.
My project is to build kayak mold and i have problem with
the metal that i should using in this case.
I knew that nickel is the best choice, but it’s so expensive for me.
If some one have experience or already use aluminium molds (if the plastic stick to it or not).Thank you very much i hope that you can help me to achieve my dream.
Peace.

Attachments:
8 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
starter
28/06/2016 at 16:31

Hi houssen,
If you plan to vacuum form your boat, than whood or plaster will work perfectly well !

(use gas heater instead of electrical, it is way more powerfull and cheaper)! and you will need several of them as your machine needs to be big )
Very good luck to you!

starter
28/06/2016 at 16:54

hi Houssen,

For vacuum forming wood or plaster will work fine!

starter
30/06/2016 at 01:01

Hi
thank’s but does’t work because i can’t heat thease things.
So the metal is the solution the probleme is wish metal should i use!

starter
09/07/2016 at 00:13

should have a look on vacuum forming, it s easy to build, you need a big one!

new
09/07/2016 at 15:25

Hi Houssem,
I’m BabaAzizi from Tunisia, I can be wrong but I think that -first kayak is fabricated using roto-molding not vacuum molding.
-second I hope you can realize your dream because industrial equipment is needed big mold, large oven …
-third I think all metals are good for your project(condition melting point higher than plastic , well polished and smooth mold),steel, iron copper, aluminium …can do it.., you mention the best is nickel, Yes but FOR BIG production 10000+++ for small quantities aluminium is the best, for one two or little more the cheapest material is good even clay covered with sticky aluminium sheet.
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckN8Ot6lWRE*
Dave must think about roto-molding machine.
Peace.

starter
11/07/2016 at 13:20

Hi Houssen, Babaazi is true, but a kayak is big and if you are not in industrial production size, i Will suggest you to evaluate the possibility of using vacuum forming, it will be much much more cheaper and much more easier (no big metal casting, no cnc needed, no gigantic oven needed) You can use plaster or wood for your master.The machine is easy to build, and masters are easy to shape and to sand down for a nice finishing. Here is a link to a company building kayak with vacuum forming.

I definitely think that vacuum forming is the only cheap thermoplastic way for building garage size production.
Or you can still use the old fiber glass and resin way.
Salut.

new
17/07/2016 at 15:30

Hello Houssem,

I have worked on a rotational Moulding mould using common plate steel and a square tubular frame.

The idea of rotational Moulding is to heat a mould with plastic granulates and rotate the mould on 3 axes. when rotating the granules spread and stick to the mould. we made a mould for a flowerpot of 1 meter high for about 100 euros in steel. the benefit of this is you can make a kayak in a single piece so no weak-spots on seams.

the problem with this is the way to heat the mould. mybe you can use electric heaters similar to heated beds for 3d printing. or use coals to heat the bottom.

just some ideas, good luck!

starter
13/05/2018 at 01:58

lovely idea thank you so much

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪