We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Types of plastic

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Types of plastic

07/12/2015 at 18:25

An overview of the different types of plastic, these are the most common ones. We mostly work with PP, HDPE, LDPE and PS. Just because we gather that the most from our waste here. However they should al work with our machines, just requires some (temperature) testing.

Attachments:
62 replies
13 subscribers
8 saved
12 likes
sort on date

In reply to: Types of plastic

new
28/03/2018 at 16:03

@mathijsstroober,
Great ideas, Thanks again!! I’ll dig into some experiments 🙂

dedicated
28/03/2018 at 11:35

@plasticinabackpack
Meting PE bags in an regular oven is relatively safe to try with. Also ironing bags in many layers together can create stiff blocks of PE

dedicated
27/03/2018 at 21:04

@plasticinabackpack,
Unfortunately, it dense foam is made by thermossetting plastics and therefor not recyclable. It is not possible to make ‘foamy’ plastics with recyclable types.

HDPE does meet your requirements and is perfect for products like mallets, hammers etc

starter
25/01/2018 at 21:35

Does anyone have experience with shredding ABS from printers/copiers? jtravis recycled some of those ABS cases with a wood chipper but I wonder how well that goes with the precious plastic shredder. I have piles of it at my school but these things are quite hard. I suppose much depends on the power of the engine..

helper
24/01/2018 at 01:16

yes for sure you can!i have tried that with the injection and was fine!

new
23/01/2018 at 19:26

I am interested in to recycle ABS, it is possible wiht the precious plastic machines?
thanks

new
24/07/2017 at 09:08

Hi Friends!

I’m working in a project to recycle a multilayer bags used to food packaging and more..
The problem is that when I try to melt it, it doesn’t work properly because some part melt good and other just burned.. Do you have any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks!

starter
24/04/2017 at 10:46

@mathijsstroober: Wow, thanks for sharing that. Seems like very valuable knowledge for a plastics newbie like me 😉
Appreciate that you shared it.

new
07/08/2016 at 15:54

What about recycling plastic bags and film? Can these be recycled with this process??

new
11/07/2016 at 13:45

Hey !
Can anyone tell me that what steel wire to use for the line tie / bait harness. From what I’ve been able to find, .024 to .028 is the popular size, and torsion straightened steel is preferred, is that correct?

Thanks in advance!

helper
05/07/2016 at 15:50

Yeah i feared for that… Lasercutting PVC is also a bad idea… There doesn’t seem to be any easy way to recycle that shit

starter
22/04/2016 at 20:49

@marcelozp

thanks a lot! i`ll start with a concept for the oven!

dedicated
19/11/2019 at 10:22

@jostodgel, No problem, this is all open source like all of Precious Plastic. Better refer to here and credit PP than credit me.

starter
18/11/2019 at 21:43

@mathijsstroober those charts are great! I was wondering if you have published them anywhere else, and if they can be shared on a website with credit to you?

starter
20/09/2018 at 15:04

If you want to know anything about HDPE here’s an extremely comprehensive page including history, application, recycling, research etc. https://provprocure.com/hdpe-high-density-polyethylene/

starter
06/09/2018 at 15:20

Does the plastic strength decreases after melting or are there other material which are mixed with the plastic to maintain its strength.

starter
28/05/2018 at 21:50

Hi guys, just wanted to know if PP, PE and/or PS were suitable for 3D printers

new
06/04/2018 at 00:14

So im new to plastic but i have a question. How are some companies making blocks or construction materials with out separating the plastic?

new
27/03/2018 at 21:29

@Mathijsstroober,
Thanks for the fast response, perhaps HDPE is the best material for my application! I’m making a wood frame backpack, however, the wood-to-wood glue joints seem to be the weak point. I thought that replacing the wood cross-members with a relatively stiff polymer (with an elastic range) might be the best option to prevent fractures from stress or big drops.

Any ideas on the best ways to learn about and get hands on experience with the PE’s?

Attachments:

new
27/03/2018 at 18:03

Hi @Mathijsstroober,
Thanks for sharing these graphics! Curious if you have worked with or know any resources you could suggest for learning about turning a recycled plastic into a dense foam? I’d love to make or source a recycled plastic that is stiff but elastic enough to take some rough handling without fracturing.

Thanks for any help!
Josh

new
13/03/2018 at 11:25

I would also like to know as i will be doing a DIY project. Currently I have empty HDPE bottles and mostly (detergent bottles or oil bottles). Thank you!

starter
10/03/2018 at 22:30

Hi, did anyone has an experience with HDPE? I would like to know about mechanical properties of recycled HDPE in comparison with virgin HDPE. Thanks.

new
30/11/2017 at 22:15

thanks that info help me a lot in plastic classification. Dave, thanks for your help. Earth proud of you.

starter
07/11/2017 at 20:59

What do you know about ?

World first bioplastic solution to growing coffee cup waste

I heard the oxo degradable plastic is not good.
Im working on helping restaurants go to alternatives.

Thanks,
Andrea

starter
07/07/2017 at 04:36

@mathijsstroober Nice work with the chart really complete, I would also add the average price for recycled materials just as a reference

helper
06/06/2017 at 14:16

Thanks! great Job! i thin. this tables should be added to V3.0 docs!

helper
18/05/2017 at 19:22

@premuth ¿haz encontrado un buen reuso para el PET?

new
26/04/2017 at 02:55

@mathijsstroober Excellent work!!! it is very useful who dont know about plastic.

this article is a good start to me. 🙂

starter
19/03/2017 at 00:55

Unfortunately, spammers took over the site and I just didn’t have the time needed to manage it all. 🙁

starter
18/03/2017 at 23:31

@robksawyer the links you shared aren’t work. Can you share they again ?
Thank you

Viewing 30 replies - 31 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪