We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

use small mulcher for shredder

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nick 1 year ago.

Max maxaustralia

use small mulcher for shredder

10/02/2017 at 23:56

Hey guys, just wondering if you can use a small electric garden mulcher for the shredder

Thanks Max

7 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
helper
11/02/2017 at 16:53

I was thinking of the same thing, also looking at amatuer grain-mills and apple-smashers, which is a bit easier to find used for sale, but i don’t know if they have enough momentum to cut through the thick parts of plastic.

new
14/02/2017 at 02:57

Thanks, There is a cheap mulcher for sale. I’ll give it ago

warrior
14/02/2017 at 14:47

Look for a Bosch AXT 25 or similar design, Makita do one too. These look promising but I don’t know of anybody who’s actually tried it.

helper
14/02/2017 at 20:40

Cool, let us know how it goes 🙂

helper
15/02/2017 at 02:24

@maxaustralia the mulcher on its own wont do well at shredding plastic to a size that is good for melting and forming plastic, most of it will get wraped around the blade, however its a definate option with modification, im currently atempting this, ive built dave’s shredder (minus the motor) take a look at my thread, should be clear to see how it can be moded..

shredder build IDEA

new
25/06/2017 at 20:54

Hello Everyone,

New to the forum and saw this post. I have been chipping up plastic computer cases, printer plastic and just about anything else that would be big and bulky in our land fill. Just cannot bring myself to have it buried in a city dump. Over the past year I have probably chipped up into a small cullet size chips, tons of various forms of plastic. What I am using is a Troy built garden style Wood Chipper where I have modified the blades. (ground a sharp edge) My chipper came with two different sizes of screens. I use my table saw to cut down into strips that will slide down my hopper shute, and my first screen produces approx. 1″ dia chips. I run it through one more time with the smaller screen and get it down to 1/4 inch or smaller cullett. I have 55 gallon drums filled with plastic cullett. Now to decide what to do with it all. Anyways, the reason for this post is just to let you know, that a good garden chipper can get the job done as far as plastic is concerned. My next big thing is I want to chip rubber. I think I will need a good shredder like Dave’s for that. Feel free to comment. Thanks Sorry so long

helper
03/08/2018 at 23:43

Does anyone have any updates on how this works? @maxaustralia? @jtravis are you able to post any pictures of the modifications you made to the chipper?

Thanks!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪