We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

V4 BeyondPlastic – [MATERIALS] Experiments

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Donald Hugens 2 months ago.

Zsofia Zala zsofi

V4 BeyondPlastic – [MATERIALS] Experiments

08/05/2019 at 11:19

Hey everyone!

I recently joined Precious Plastic and I’ve been working on biodegradable material experiments, so in this post I’ll show you the first tryouts of several materials. I’ve mainly used household waste and waste that can be found in nature. Some materials I used could be the by-products of industries, like sesame seeds from vegetable oil pressing. I didn’t use any additional adhesives, because I wanted to see how strong they can bind just by adding heat and pressure. I dried and blended every material before pressing them. I used rice oil as a release agent. For the first tries, I used the oven to heat up the mould and after a while, I added two cartridge heaters to the two parts of the mould, which really sped up the procedure. We will tell you more about the mould in the upcoming post.

Some materials I can’t exactly define as I collected them and I didn’t measure them at this point, so sorry about that, hope it will still be useful!

Below you can find the details of the samples.

Attachments:
3 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes
starter
08/05/2019 at 11:20

Here you can find the details about my samples:

Attachments:
warrior
10/05/2019 at 12:39

Wow! That looks incredibly thorough! Must have taken a long time. Did you grind them with a kitchen blender?

It looks like coffee grounds and pine cones/needles worked well, but what products would these be suitable for actually making? Do they have any residual smell of the original material?

Looking forward to hearing more about the mould and how you were able to apply pressure in a controlled way.

warrior
10/05/2019 at 12:55

Great experiments.

Instant sterile growth medium. like coffee grinds for mushrooms etc.

Now find a way to add seeds (after cooling) and let the guerilla gardening commence!

Or not 😉

@andyn

Great for biodegradable products for one time use etc.

I’ve also seen coffee grinds and egg shells(!) used for bigger products this way.

Add fibres, and the material becomes even stronger.

Nice to see also algae were tested.

Very interested in this topic!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.