We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

V4 BeyondPlastic – [MATERIALS]

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Fernanda 3 months ago.

Jannis dasjannis

V4 BeyondPlastic – [MATERIALS]

31/01/2019 at 09:58

Using Urban Food Waste Streams to make biodegradable materials. – Biodegradable, because to us, it’s the most important and common property a material in a world of short living objects should have.

This is an open collection of the materials we worked with so far or are researching right now.

MATERIALS
Wheat Bran
Potato Peels
Experiments

13 replies
7 subscribers
3 saved
5 likes
sort on most likes
starter
21/02/2019 at 13:59

Hellooo!

I’m Alistair, from England. I’ve been following Precious Plastics for years but have recently looking into this exact topic (procrastinating whilst trying to find a job). I have a masters in biotechnology so I know where to look to find out information, but I live in a flat in Bristol with no real access to a physical research space – but you guys do!

The route of my thinking was to replace polystyrene/styrofoam trays used in the food takeaway industry with a foamed starch batter, baked in heated compression molds. The addition of lignin from waste wood provides additional strength. There are some recipes here:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257616592_Effects_of_starch_types_on_the_properties_of_baked_starch_foams

https://www.agriculturejournals.cz/publicFiles/241_2012-CJFS.pdf

The starch can be sourced from potato processing plant wastewater (from potato slice washing and peels) and concentrated to the desired levels by centrifugation.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222064560_Getting_value_from_wastewater_by-products_recovery_in_a_potato_chips_industry

I would love to help develop this with you if you’re interested!

Cheers,

Alistair

starter
24/05/2019 at 07:36

Helloooo,

I’ve tried to use starch to make the cutlery , there are many business in India doing this (link below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Cc5zmy0eY 
This is clearer view of process making:

The cutlery is made of wheat flour, rice flour and millets. no more chemicals additive, I’ve tried to do the same but replacing sugarcane bagasse instead of millets as we don’t grow that much in my country, but outcome is failed 🙂 can anyone have tried playing with starch? can you share your ideas

@alistair, I’ve sent you a private message regarding the ratio using starch, not sure if you follow up this topic so I decided to send straightaway to your mail box 🙂

Attachments:
warrior
24/05/2019 at 08:48

@huyennguyen

Am I correct to assume you are baking them outside of the mold?

In the video (around 7 minutes) you can see them actually closing the molds with a lid before baking.

This keeps them in shape and basically ‘pressure cooks/bakes’ the spoons.

starter
24/05/2019 at 09:06

@donald
yes I put the dough in between the 2 spoons and cooked in oven 200 degree for 30-40 mins

Attachments:
warrior
24/05/2019 at 09:43

@huyennguyen

Thank you.

This leaves a lot of variables, all of which could be the cause…

I’d start with a process of elimination.

Try the original recipe, same problem, it’s not the sugarcane bagasse.

Try an enclosed mold, same problem, it’s not the mold.

Lower temperature/longer baking time etc. etc.

Will probably only add to the list of failures but you only need to get it right once!

My money is still on the mold, as this is what should keep the spoons in shape.

If using less materials to make them would be possible, I think they would have used those (in the video) as it could have saved them lot’s of money(!)

As you can see in this topic V4 BeyondPlastic – [PROCESS] Extruding PotatoPeels 
overheating burns the sporks, but still keeps them in shape, so this should not be the problem…

warrior
24/05/2019 at 10:25

@huyennguyen very interesting.

@donald is right about the ‘Bakeys’ moulds being in two halves. I’ve just watched their kickstarter video, and the mould is fully enclosed, with a clip holding both halves together.  It looks like your (loose?) 2 spoon mould might be allowing the dough to move and expand too much.

Good luck with your future tests. As @donald says, you still have plenty of variables to play with.

starter
24/05/2019 at 11:09

@donald @frogfall

thank you guys, I’ll need to get the enclosed mold, and many tests..will get the update 🙂

new
17/06/2019 at 09:31

hey I am Lucas from the Netherlands,

for a school project, I want to do something with this topic and I was wondering if anyone could send me a sample so I can see it in real life before investing in a new machine? it doesn’t really matter what kind of product it is but a cup or a plate would be preferred.

if anyone can send me a sample please reply to this comment and then I can leave my address so you can send it to me.

warrior
17/06/2019 at 10:55

Hi Lucas @lucasvanvemde
Have you checked the map to see if maybe somebody is near you with a workshop?
Might also help to add yourself so people can see where you are from.

helper
17/06/2019 at 18:31

hey @lucasvanvemde, we actually can’t send any samples out, since we are still in the research phase. If you want to, you are more than welcome to drop by in our workspace in Eindhoven though!
And if you have any specific questions about the properties of the material, feel free to ask them here or write me a message 🙂

And as @donald already mentioned: It’s always good to add yourself to the map, as you might also find like minded people around you, who could help you get started!

new
01/07/2019 at 18:00

@dasjannis

Hey, Jannis, I would love to come by at your workspace in Eindhoven.
but, I actually can’t find it on the map, does anyone know how I can get in touch with the workspace in Eindhoven?

sorry for the late reaction BTW

starter
31/07/2019 at 14:48

Hello ppl!
I have been tracking down information about potato peels, it sounds like you have made a great progress there.
Maybe if you consider mixing some ingredients to strengthen the material and make the 3D products as you were mentioning, you can further research about a Scientist who’s doing plastic from cactus.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottsnowden/2019/07/14/scientist-in-mexico-creates-biodegradable-plastic-from-prickly-pear-cactus/#646090106c49

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪