We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

V4 Collection System

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ppboys 4 hours ago.

julie juul

V4 Collection System

02/08/2019 at 14:30

hi people, interested in the collection system

For every precious plastic workspace that you want to start, you will need plastic material. To get this material sorted, cleaned and ready to work with, it precedes a whole other process.   This is why a plastic collection network is important to have when plastic is your main material.

We are heading closer to the launch of version 4, exciting time but also time to focus even more on what we are doing. With a new collection team and all the information from new and old members, we are able to create a strategy. This strategy will function as a base to make it easier for everyone to collect the right materials and inform the people in your surroundings. 

Attachments:
19 replies
2 subscribers
4 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: V4 Collection System

warrior
05/08/2019 at 18:55

@juul I really like your upcycled blue food barrels. We have a few similar barrels that were used to ship olives, etc. and once they are empty they are not reused or shipped back, and can be had very cheaply. We use them for rain barrels. After 2 years one of them still has that pepperoncini aroma.

helper
06/08/2019 at 18:42

@s2019 thank you for mentioning. do you have any picture of how they look like? and do you use them already for something?

warrior
06/08/2019 at 21:08

They are a little over 200 liters. We use them to catch rainwater from our gutters. I have been informed that rainwater is better for our plants than the stuff that comes out of the tap (that I drink). The concept of catching rainwater may not be common in Eindhoven.

Attachments:

helper
07/08/2019 at 14:54

@s2019 thanks for sharing and really nice to hear that you gave them another purpose! Here in the Netherlands some people do collect raining water for the plants.

helper
09/08/2019 at 14:22

The communication part of the collection 

We made a little overview of the different ways of communication and divided them into 5 different ways. We will try some communication examples of each category.

– Media (blog, social media…..)
– Signs (wooden board, poster, flag…….)
– Message (mail, article…….)
– Audio (radio, talking, event…..)
– Handouts (flyer, sticker……..)

We will keep you updated here how we try these ways of communication in Eindhoven and what we learn from this. If you do have any suggestions feel free to write a comment/suggestion. Keeping track of everything from our new desk at the entrance 🙂

Attachments:

helper
09/08/2019 at 14:56

The communication part of the collection – Sings

We noticed by checking our visitors form that our signs in front of our building were making a lot of people curious. This made them come inside and we had the option to explain the project to them.

Our first sign only said “drop by and bring your plastic” this made people bringing all the plastic. We changed this into a bit more precise message “bring your plastic, clean” with illustrations and the types. Another thing that we changed is that we made one side in the local language (Dutch) and one side in English. We will start to use the new sign from next Monday.

This sign does stand on the side of the road. We do have another sign hanging on our entrance wall “plastic collection point” and we have a big Precious plastic flag also hanging next to our entrance.

Attachments:

warrior
10/08/2019 at 19:06

@juul
I think testing the different ways of communicating to people about the existence of your collection point is a great experiment, and it also gets curious people to see the PP facility.

I’m curious how popular the Eindhoven municipal program is https://eindhovennews.com/features/2018/10/how-to-recycle-plastic-in-eindhoven/ . Are the orange topped bins in many locations? Are they used?

helper
14/08/2019 at 18:26

@s2019 Yes, they do get used (they do sometimes look different) and you can mostly find them around the supermarket. What is super nice because it makes people separate their plastic waste from their general waste. They will use recycled plastic to produce new plastic bottles, toys and other things we don’t really need to have in plastic.  They also need to add virgin plastic to mix it and get the same quality.

At the collection system:
– we give people tips and trick how to sort their plastic waste
– we show them the possibilities of recycled plastic
– we explain to them the benefits of keeping your trash locally
– we give them tips on how to reduce their plastic waste

We hope that this will provide them enough information about plastic as a material. When they bring types of plastic we can’t use we tell them where they can find these orange containers.

helper
14/08/2019 at 19:53

the communication part of the collection – Handouts 

We noticed that even nowadays it’s nice to be able to give people something with your business details on. In the first months of PP V4, we designed and printed flyers. We used them when people came to visit the workspace to start collecting plastic and we left them in 10 different public locations in Eindhoven to gain some interest.

After a couple of weeks, we noticed that nobody took the flyers and that some stores even took them away because the paper wasn’t nice anymore. The flyer needed more information and that the quality of the paper was important to make it look more professional.

We just finished a new design with all the points we thought of that would be important to be on the flyer/business card.

– That we collect clean used plastic
– Anything that makes people understand that it’s something locally
– Information about the types of plastic that we want
– What we will do with the plastic waste (some examples)
– Our business details
– Multi-functional
– Positive
– Precious enough that you want to keep it when you take it

If you have any suggestions for maybe a global idea, please let us know 🙂

Photo – old flyer
Photo – new flyer

Attachments:

helper
16/08/2019 at 14:52

Documentation of our experiences

Because we are in the early stage of the collection of precious plastic we have a lot of different topics to look into. One important topic is how to document everything to get a nice and clear overview of the numbers and information we gather.

Visitors spreadsheet 

One of the moments that we do get a lot of information, is when a person comes to our collection point to bring their plastic. We created a spreadsheet that we improved already almost 10 times. On the spreadsheet, we fill in more personal details and ways of how they got to know about this collection point.

Floor layout 

We have another way how to document what kind of plastic they bring in. We painted some outlines on the floor that makes it easy to sort out your plastic. It’s also nice for the person, to get an overview of what we are able to recycle and what can be improved or brought somewhere else. (the first people that tried it out really like it)

Photo 1 – visitors spreadsheet

Photo 2 – floor layout
Photo 3 – the collection point set up at the moment

Attachments:

starter
16/08/2019 at 18:34

Digital records are a lot easier to track and handle. What if you had a QR code that could be scanned by a smartphone and a photo attached to it for tracking the plastic deposited.  Over time this data could produce plastic audits showing the brands that are creating the most pollution in specific areas.

This kind of system could also reward members with collection points.

helper
17/08/2019 at 12:11

@eugeneb50 yes I’m absolutely a fan of that option! we were only not sure if people would really use this. Do you have experience in that? But it’s worth trying for sure 🙂 we will make one this week. We do use QR codes also with our paying system in the workspace. That works really well. You get a couple of simple questions that you need to fill in and all this information goes straight to an excel doc.

starter
17/08/2019 at 21:46

Reward or even the promise of reward appeals to most.  Social media drives dopamine rushes when you receive recognition or points. These are both good motivators for a system that relies on people to make an extra effort.
People appreciate value.  If they are helping keep the planet clean and creating data to fight pollution it may satisfy this.

I think it is worth trying. Using it as an opportunity to educate and inform while driving them into your sales channel is a good strategy. Could be used as a recruiting opportunity to join precious plastics in one step.  Streamlines transaction by eliminating the paper and secondary data entry.

17/08/2019 at 22:08

Could you create an dedicated thread on this ? We also have a number of ideas about in the drawer about this; ie: integrate this in the machines and/or a simple app. Nonetheless, I think it would start making sense when speaking of ‘PP collected and/or recycled X tons this month’, globally. I am all for the app route and minor addons for the existing machines for metering. I’ve done a few similar apps in the past so we could have this quite fast 🙂  Possibly, the best is to discuss on discord.

starter
17/08/2019 at 23:05

This is a good concept. ->
Litterati

new
18/08/2019 at 01:27

@eugeneb50, i opened another thread for collecting ideas of a PP app here :  https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/precious-plastic-app-2/.

helper
19/08/2019 at 09:18

@eugeneb50 and others, nice to hear all these ideas and I really love the Litterati concept/app. Let’s see what is possible to organize before V4 otherwise we keep on looking for different ways to improve the collection system afterwards 🙂 Do you have any experience with setting up something similar @eugeneb50?

On the photo, you can see our point system that we try to use at the moment. It’s still really simple.

Attachments:

starter
22/08/2019 at 06:28

I have experience as a software engineer and project manager. Feel free to ask questions. How can I help?

starter
22/08/2019 at 08:49

@juul, here is a place on Facebook doing amazing stuff at scale 🙂

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.