We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

V4 All about sheets – Index topic

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Martin Kemp 5 days ago.

Mark Bachrach markbertbach

V4 All about sheets – Index topic

27/11/2018 at 13:56

In this topic, we would like to gather all general questions and suggestions about everything to do with plastic sheets and sheet-presses as well as providing you with an index and links to all topics concerning specific aspects of sheets, sheet processing and sheet-press development. The structure is intended as shown in the picture.

@v-varella & @acoira are in charge of the processing techniques topics
and
@markbertbach & @jasonknight are in charge of the machine development topics

INDEX:

V4 SHeetpressing system
First functional prototype

Machine development:
Mould development
Oven Development
Ease of use
Cooling

Sheets:
Interesting results

Processing techniques:
Cutting
Bending
Welding
Thermoforming
Finishing
Joinery

Products:
Design tips & tricks
Show off your product
Research of product demands

Topics without a link are not yet in existence but coming soon!

Attachments:
9 replies
8 subscribers
9 saved
10 likes
sort on most likes
starter
06/02/2019 at 21:07

Not exactly sure if it is the same as thermoforming or not, but vacuum forming is very easy to do (assuming we can produce thin enough sheets of plastic), so that may be good to pursue.

starter
06/02/2019 at 21:10

Another Idea of mine was to take the thicker sheets produced by the sheet press, and let them “simmer” on a large griddle to alow them to heat treat (for more strength + transparency) and for the sheet to be thinner.

helper
18/02/2019 at 09:45

@ericl

Good ideas, although I’m a bit sceptical towards both.

fot thermo forming I think you need a very consistant output and thus very pure input material without any pollutions.

for simmering I worry about warpage and thickness deviations.

but for both, only 1 way to find out! 😁

I you try so, let me know, otherwise, maybe @v-varella would like to try

starter
26/02/2019 at 17:27

Hi Mark,

Lovin the sheetpress you made!

This got me wondering if there is a list available to reproduce the SheetPress ?

For instance These;

Attachments:
starter
02/05/2019 at 19:31

Hey everyone! Six months in and we have our first working prototype of the sheet pressing system up and running! Below is a presentation which highlights the journey so far and a video of the process so you guys can give us some feedback!

Attachments:
new
02/05/2019 at 23:57

congratulations, that looks like a promising setup, for around 2-4k; next station would be then blow molding though 🙂

starter
05/05/2019 at 18:23

Well done guys! I can’t wait to start making sheets, going to be nice to see what comes with v4!

dedicated
30/05/2019 at 18:48

@markbertbach I just came across your thesis work in the other thread https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/plastic-plate-press-semi-diy-semi-professional/ . Maybe you should add it to your index, perhaps as background information. It really is a valuable resource and should be visible.

Thanks for the great work

starter
11/06/2019 at 17:18

Nicely done,

This could be a really valuable part of the Precious plastic toolkit. It opens lots of doors.

Is there a development timeline somewhere for this / V4 in general? Or an informal estimate on when this might be available and the cost to make it.

Cheers,
Martin

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.