We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

V4 Shredder Development – [CUTTING TECHNOLOGY]

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Gavin Fehilly 3 weeks ago.

Friedrich friedrich

V4 Shredder Development – [CUTTING TECHNOLOGY]

10/02/2019 at 19:55

Here is a space for questions regarding the upcoming shredding variants regarding the main cutting operation for the v4 shredder. Basically there are two option for the next shredder which are evaluated right now. We are testing a new, insert-based system to reduce jams in the system. If this one should fail or be too complex we will go for a double axis shredder, due they are already prooven to be better than the previous single axis shredder.

The main question here will be soon opened and is about how to achieve more precision in tolerances of the cutting mechanism.

7 replies
5 subscribers
4 saved
5 likes
sort on most likes
new
16/02/2019 at 13:16

@friedrich, it would be nice if you could take smaller machine shop reality into account. I realized last days that building a plasma CNC table for cutting anything above 12 mm thickness is getting way out of control (5K+). So if you could keep parts below that magic number I am sure more folks can build it in the garage. I checked also our laser/plasma service partners: they also charge significantly more for above the 12mm thickness range.

thanks

new
16/02/2019 at 13:23

btw, getting an insert into a self machined blade (plasma, laser, mill) looks quit like a little adventure to me. taking grinded HSS blanks (way cheaper)  instead is a lot more viable, also more accessible for the more important areas like the east and south.
g

helper
15/03/2019 at 12:27

So a small update regarding the blades. We improved some major elements on the shredding technology.

1.) Additional Blades no more Spacers
Our new team member Paco had the great idea to removed the flat spacers in favor for more blades. So instead of one blade and one spacer, we have only blades, but at a lower level than the regular blades.
In the pictures you see, that they are all at the same time. This will be changed in the next iteration of the shredder. We forgot about it due we just cutted the new blades with an angle grinder.

2.) Pusher Closing plate
We had a problem about keeping the material out of the rear-chamber of the pusher. To improve the sealing between the walls we added a plastic plate with a tighter fit.
3.) Next steps
We will completely redesign the cutting unit. Right now we think about triangular vs. rectangular blades. One benefit of triangular blades is that you can adjust the cutting-gap over the full length of the shredder, which is not possible with rectangular blades. However triangular blades would be harder to manufacture.
Another consideration is regarding the diameter/speed ratio. The diameter will be increased in order to achieve a higher tangent speed which is comparable to competitors from the industry.

Attachments:
starter
19/04/2019 at 17:50

Hi! My name is Paco, I am from Spain and I am the new member of the shredder team. This month we have been working in some alternatives for the rotor of the single shaft shredder.

Option 1

Same design as before, but the rotor has only blades (without spacers)

Option 2 

T- blades. This configuration is the most used in industrial shredders. The disk will be manufacture in the lathe and then, the blade support will be weld to the disks.

Option 3 

Same as Option 2 but we make the V shape with a milling machine instead of using the lathe. We think this is more efficient but also more difficult to manufacture.

We already received the laser cutting parts and now we are assembling both options for the rotor, to test it and choose which one is the best. ​

Attachments:
warrior
19/04/2019 at 19:06

anything which removes the need of laser cut parts (~400 Euro) but also mill if possible. being able to make this on the lathe and a welder would yield in more builds world wide 🙂

option 3 seems best to us (machine builders), can be done with a lathe and the welder as said, plus we can harden it with novice level.

thanks for sharing
g

starter
28/04/2019 at 21:29

Hey @friedrich I made a shredder for my engineering project. I took inspiration from local plastic recycling industry u can visit my Instagram page @preciousplastic.india for pictures of shredder…they need a smaller motor and are more efficient design is totally different and it can crush all types of plastic

starter
28/04/2019 at 23:47

Hi all, I’m in the process of pricing materials here in Ireland (expensive so far) how ever if the parts could be Plasma Cut? I think that V.4 could be very successful here?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.