We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

V4 Shredder Double Axis – [INDEX+BLOG]

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 29 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 weeks ago.

Yann lagrenouille

V4 Shredder Double Axis – [INDEX+BLOG]

23/04/2019 at 15:49

Hey community,

We are 3 guys to work on the V4 shredder double axes, Landry (@landry) from France – a industrial designer and engineer, Paco (@pacoacu13) from Spain – mechanical engineer, and Yann from France – material engineer.

We work on the Precious Plastic shredder double axes in Eindhoven, and we try to find the best solution for shred some big parts of plastic, also including thick parts like beams and sheets.

The sub-topics will be the same than for the single axis shredder, as most of the technologies will be similar :
Drives (Motors and Gears)
Cutting Technology (Shredding principles and fine tuning)
Feeding System (Hoppers, Conveyer Belts, new Systems)
Control System (Electronics)

Productivity
The double axes shredder is the most used for different industrial activities, but with different designs for different results. We need something close to an industrial shredder, who can shred different plastic shapes and sizes quickly, and easly in very little plastic chips.

Reliability, Safety & Maintenance
As for the single axis shredder trials, the next version should not jam as often as the current shredder does. Furthermore we want to implement automatic reverse (torque detection) and back to normal operation.
Safety will also be improved by a proper hopper limiting the acces to the blades, and a good “catch” of the plastics for removing any human help in the process of shredding.
Maintenance such as cleaning (between different plastic batch) shall also be considered.

So how will we start?
The main goal we want to achieve, is increasing the shredding capacity, we want something much bigger than the last verion, and that can work all day (at least 7 hours) with no jam and very few human interventions.Our biggest problem right now is the huge variety of plastic that can be found – small/big, thin/thick, flat/geometric and different materials. And most of the shredders are specified on one particular task. E.g. slow running Granulators to recycle runners of the injection process.

Double axis shredders in general seams a very polyvalent option, even if they have quiet some incovenient (like a lot of laser cut parts…), but let’s give it a try at least !

29 replies
5 subscribers
2 saved
6 likes
sort on date
dedicated
24/04/2019 at 00:01

Yeah, I’m always surprised to see people post “hi, I’m new to PP, I want to get started, I want to build a shredder” why? Unless someone thinks they can market plastic flakes (which may be viable for the artist market), the shredder does not produce a product.

I do think there is value in PP maintaining a reference buildable shredder design. I assume there are situations where someone has surplus metal available to them, a torch, grinders, some basic shop tools, perhaps an IC engine, limited cash but has some time. They can adapt the design and get something going without the cash obstacle.

dedicated
23/04/2019 at 22:22

@lagrenouille , I am glad you were able to assemble a team of trained engineers to tackle the complex shredder development. Could you post the list of quantitative requirements your team has developed for this shredder development? Have you selected a benchmark for the shredding capability? How does the V3 shredder perform against the benchmark? @andyn has a great looking, small dual axis shredder, perhaps he could tell you how his machine performs against your benchmark and what the lessons learned are. Looks like you are upsizing the shredder into the range covered by the smaller commercial machines. Do they meet your requirements? Do you have a price target for your shredder development? How much cheaper than the commercial units will it be?

I think for those of us who have not gone through your planning process, some of your background research would be very helpful if posted so we can understand the scope and rationale of what you are undertaking.

Thanks for your efforts, looking forward to your results
Good luck

helper
02/05/2019 at 18:03

Hey community,

We have start the test of the double axis shredder, we will try different sheet with different thicknesses and compare the result with the single shaft.

We have decided to try with cutting blades to test the capacity of the shredder to grip the sheet.

Then, we will check if the flakes are enought small for be injected or compressed without re-shred. We will check the good point and bad point of the double axis (price, easy to build, powerfull, speed…), if we can do much better with flat blades and we will compared all that with the single shaft.

Attachments:
helper
24/04/2019 at 12:15

@s2019 you are right, this should actually be the starting communication point, I will put these datas in a presentable way, and post then soon.

We also have here a shredder similar to andyn’s, small double axe, and it works quiet well in various situation. This is a kind a scaled up machine. Might make sense for some situations, not for others.

@pporg to answer some of your questions / remarks :

– The shaft is 36mm, like for the single axis one. I think I remember you said 32mm might be enough on another topic, but we choosed 36mm as it seamed to be worldwide available. Anyway we try to make the drawings parametric so it can be more easily adaptable to what’s available.

– Concerning price range, yes we are aiming for something around 2-3k of material, which unsurpringly put us in a selling price range of alibaba shredder. Not more expensive though, for 1-2k you only have a peletiser, in which a strongly disrecommand for thick plastic.
We don’t say to anyone to mandatory make this one. We offer an alternative. Then it is up to everybody choises. And additionnaly, this is only a prototype, that can very probably be priced imporved.

– Also from what I read on some of your post, you seams deeply involved in opensource projects since a while. So I guess you get the principle, we don’t have this 30-40 years of experince some manufacturer might have, but we have a large community of competent people like you seams to be, that can debug, redesign, adapt… that allow us to be faster than any industrial plant.

– We try here a bigger version to imagine that people can make a living only out of shredding plastic. Might be an illusion or an utopia, but it might make sense for some people. For the others, there is others solutions.
Same apply for the small one, we propose one solution / one alternative. It might not be adapted in all case neither. But we trust on intelligent people to built it not exactly the same but adapted to their needs / means.

Then this will be my only answer to the polemic of the need of a bigger shredder. It doesn’t make sense for you or others, fair enough. Let’s keep this topic to find the best way to do this one, and at the end, we can see for who it makes sense (if it does even, maybe ?).
I would really like your inputs on the way to design and built this one as you seams very competent, but if you feel like we are only wasted time and money, then I’ll don’t waste yours.

warrior
23/04/2019 at 18:46

@pporg thanks for the info

About the v3, i haven’t worked with or talked to the team in Netherlands so I don’t know what their thought on v3 are, but from what I gather is shredder with v3 design was as good as it gets and to troubleshoot the main problems ie clogging and speed there is no other alternative than to switch to a double shaft shredder, which meant going back to the drawing board and changing the design.

Again I don’t speak on behalf of the Netherland team, but if you think that the current design can be improved by consulting some seniors in this field then you should definitely go for it instead of waiting for someone’s approval or permission from Netherlands. If they take and implement that feedback is for later to worry

helper
23/04/2019 at 17:12

hey community, the final model will look something like that

Attachments:
helper
23/04/2019 at 15:51

Sorry, for the multiple posting, we struggle a little to upload.

Here some additional pictures 😉

Attachments:
new
31/05/2019 at 18:37

@sacrys, there will be some updates from PP Catalonia for shredder v3: less dangerous sieve, easier assembly, 32mm hexbar, 30mm driveshaft, bigger bearings, some modifications to have the hopper mount in place, blade changes, a few minor updates about the holes and a bunch of framework variants: school version (more safety), portable version, extrusion combo. Also we have a solid and well tested wiring plan with auto-reverse. of course with fixed material bill and new laser files for different hex-bar sizes (28 – 32). i just had no time to upload all yet.

starter
31/05/2019 at 18:11

I really want to see that v3 update, since I (like a lot of people) have this machine and I would like to take advantage of it as best I can.

helper
07/05/2019 at 18:42

Good, it looks very interseting!
The differents tests does with the doubles axes make the plastics chips to thicks. That because the blades are not crossing enought, like the Fig 1 on the picture. We need to cross more, with larger diameter blades and smaller diameter washer, change the the space between the 2 shafts like the Fig 2 AND change the thickness of the blades, for 6 or 8 VS 10 for the prototype. In this case, it will be a little more long for shred plastic, maybe we will limited on the plastic thickness, but the flakes will be, for sure, smaller.

Guys, let me know your opinion 😉

For the final version, if we choose this version, the idea it’s make something easy to build, with the minimum weld, screws… for give the possibility to build it everywhere with the minimum tools. if you are some idea about it, let we know here 🙂

Attachments:
new
24/04/2019 at 12:58

yeah, of we course we want 🙂 major problem we notice over and over is that people take v3 as granted and a sort of single source of truth, we have a often hard time to explain our changes to the design to users … so lets do the next as economic as possible 🙂

new
24/04/2019 at 12:50

if you guys can upload a drawing at some point would be great, I can show this to our gurus who do machine building/upgrades/maintenance for a living, since 40 years. Details become quickly an issue. For instance if you base your design on holes, it just invites a lot of problems (ie: not using bolts with the right hardening grade,..), also if you make a template for production, sometimes we use the CNC to mark holes. Marking holes alone is kinda difficult even for more experienced guys (i do this only since 2 years) like me, for students with sight problems things go quickly banana. I prefer good welds over holes, it goes faster and I don’t expect a John Doe to open and maintain those machines 🙂

helper
24/04/2019 at 12:42

No worries, I just wanted to say that yes, this shredder will be bigger and in another price range for sure, as we want to have this alternative. Also this will be a parallele development with the single shaft, only one will probably be released at the end.

Therefore I am and will be very thankfull for all your inputs to make it easier to built, cheaper, more efficient… if you would like to of course.

new
24/04/2019 at 12:26

thanks Yann, yeah, didn’t want to appear piggy again, just throwing numbers and observations at you, collected here downtown in the garage 🙂
go ahead. i also wanted to highlight what impacts design decisions may have, a tiny a little detail can render us unable to deal with production in the short times we can spent on one built.

new
24/04/2019 at 00:18

lol, hilarious, evtl. we take this offline but yeah. I am surprised one can manage to get enough plastic at all from the dumpster (here in eu, going to 80% recycled), sort, wash and then make a product. considering the $$ and energy thrown at this first tedious .. smelly stage, I am not surprised we’re not there yet . From my observations all over the net, I think 10% make it, somewhere into a new profession, luck and cool products. There is and was so much creative & successful entrepreneurship on the 3D print train. I’d burst out in happy tears to seeya all there catching up; speaking of technology; so it’s a matter of time that labor is reduced to a minimum due to automation – something we can do too – (a dark transition age), why not copying the idea of automation and go for micro [email protected], so much to do yet, so much to gain 🙂

new
23/04/2019 at 23:06

thanks @s2019, honestly, haven’t even got that far figuring those questions, obviously. I have often the sensation that the shredder should be dropped for good and all efforts & resources should rather focus on the ‘after math’ of this very first stage of material development which accounts easily up 80% til shipping a great product. I mentioned this already somewhere but got no good feedback but here again: why not just grabbing the plastic after sorting, washing, shredding right from the facility ? this way one can focus on a product with way less pollution, footprint, etc … time will tell, v5 will tell 🙂 Imagine that PP provides a low-cost semi/full-automatic machine which can produce somewhere in a shelf new parts 🙂 they will be small but still, one can make a decent living from it, right away, no hassle or 2-5K invest needed …
thanks man,
g

new
23/04/2019 at 21:05

and here the current times for v3 :
– turning driveshaft, key way (need a shaper for 2K), 2 hours
– grinding blades and washers, tips 3 – 4 hours
– welding 3 mm sheets and cleaning up the mess you get on stainless: 2 hours
– making sleeves to compensate nominal sheet errors : 2 hours (those washers in the kit are pretty useless)
– making the support blocks to host UFCL206 bearings via M14 screws, 1 hour, obviously it doesn’t take long to realize that a M10 ACME/bolt holding 200 – 600 Nm isn’t exactly appropriate here, is it ?)
– turning hex bar on size, 2 hours ( you need this precise as possible )
– assembling the shredder 1-3 times til all fits nicely, 3 hours
– making the frame, incl. paint, 4 – 12 hours, depends on wheels and other things you need for the youth/school
– wiring all, breakers, emergency switch, powerplug, 4 hours
– compensate errors til her : 2-3 hours
– making the hopper , 4-6 hours
– testing and fixing : 2 – 6 hours
– logistic : 3-5 hours
– couplings: 1 hour, 2 hours loud CNC

That are my times, with pretty much the best tools you can get for this job. My students need near the double. This leaves us finally at 3-6 euros the hour per shredder, black since nobody can effort legal and real prices 🙂

I guess we have to work harder and faster just to make this ‘sustainable’, right ?
have a nice one,
g

new
23/04/2019 at 19:28

btw. here the prices for making v3 work :

2.2Kw = 420 Euro for the motor & reducer, 130 Euro for the inverter, 30 Euro for
cables, 100 Euro for couplings  = 680 Euro

4Kw (our recommendation to go bigger) = 760 for motor and reducer, 220 Euro for the inverter, ~40 Euro for wiring,breakers, emergency switches , 160 for couplings = 1175  Euro

and that’s the more cheap variant you can possibly get in europe, especially if you can’t risk anything (warrenty, invoice, safety rules out scrap yard parts). i don’t think any of the machine builders on the bazar are picking this on a daily base from the scrap yard, how could you ?

new
23/04/2019 at 19:00

we already tried everything possible but eindhoven seems to use it’s goal keeper position to deny/refuse any sort of improvements, no matter the gravity or urgency or realities coming with it. anyway, don’t worry, we started building a new site pointing out all the numbers/fixes for v3.

What’s really buffing us now since long how we got from ‘precious plastic’ doable with ‘common available tools and materials’ over to  recycling bigger quantities, eg: reinvent the wheel and copy industrial grade machines in the garage, etc.. We serve a good chunk of the european users who also have the $$ to throw at this kind of activity. I can only remember a few clients who needed such ‘mega’ machines, but ok, apparently I didn’t get the memo about ‘mass plastic for the mass’, lol

g

new
23/04/2019 at 18:38

yeah, i just checked,  it’s around 2-3K to make in a good equipped shop, plus income tax and vat = around 4500 – 7000 Euro. And that are prices for a place, catalonia, which had 4+ industrial revolutions behind and I’d say the prices here are still quite cheap. Most of the things here are produced on a ‘shop to shop’ base, depending on ‘external’ components like high quality blades from Alibaba makes this a really tough adventure to get out to people 🙂 We already struggle with the cashflow constraints given by the bazar modalities ..

good luck, I’d honestly prefer the v4 team fixes the past first, that’s a ballpark most of us in the PP machine builder segment can handle !

warrior
23/04/2019 at 17:30

Is it as powerful as it looks? Are the parts still lasercut?

new
31/05/2019 at 18:40

@sacrys, there all the issues we’d like to address, as best as possible without getting too much out of the window.

new
10/05/2019 at 01:43

confirmed: we make a grinder v3 shredder addon for getting PET grinded to dust. Only problem is the shaft length having enough space for a sprocket driving the grinder underneath. The printer itself is out of beta and we hope we have both in the bazar by June. Would be great to know the drawing, details of v4 so that the story ‘3D printing meets PP’ becomes even more reality sometime soon. thx!

new
08/05/2019 at 00:00

looks great! congrats. just some notes building this easier:
– if you can make the plates stick out by 2-3-4 cm around the chamber, it could already provide the mounts for the hopper which you can plug right on, with holes so all it takes are threads (M6 – M8), assuming the plates are at least 5mm thick
– please if possible, don’t make holes bigger than 35mm, most cone step drills stop there
– more on shaft holes on the side plates, we use sleeves for v3, not only to compensate errors and pre-load blades but also to have it easier to align the shaft during assembly, plus it provides a safety measure due it’s acting as rest as well
– not knowing the thickness but if possible, please drop the sink holes to montage stuff from inside (as v3); i’d prefer to bolt from outside, just to use any bolts (we tend to use more and more hardened ACME rods and make bolts ourself, way cheaper after all) possible. the other reason is that you can unlock those bolts without dis-assembling the whole thing before.
– the flanges are great but I’d prefer to deal with mounting myself in various scenarios, no biggy otherwise

overall great design, it seems to prevent mis-alignment/skewing (in theory 😉 and as always, i can be wrong 😉

@lagrenouille, not much, it’s made for PET bottles, you get one into it, it takes 2 passes to get it to dust, each pass ~1-2 minutes. 1480RPM at 1:50 on 0.75KW single phase. gearbox seems getting a warm easily but it was a pretty cheap one though. it’s a desktop shredder after all; a pretty good one, for whopping 4k but with CE.

do you guys have already spotted an european/alibaba supply for the blades ?
g

helper
06/05/2019 at 14:38

Thank you very much for these pictures, it is very interesting !
Did you manage to have an idea on the qty you could shred by hours (roughly) ?

new
04/05/2019 at 22:35

here the shredding stage

new
04/05/2019 at 22:32

hey, so i had the 3devo (4k before VAT),
– grinds PET down to printable dust, in 2 passes (one reload after sieve)
– simple design after all, the side plates for the gears may provide enough space for such addon, or 2 .. as can you see the worm drive enables to rotate the force

new
02/05/2019 at 22:49

nice, thanks for sharing. i think its a no brainer, please say good bye just to single shaft, I am more worried about speed reduction, VFD, input power, maintenance. Please have look at the 3devo design, there is a second stage which grinds the flakes down to dust (printable). I have their grinder on my desk this weekend and let you know this could be an add-on 🙂

new
23/04/2019 at 18:11

@sharma-sagar, you could laser cut it or produce it on the lathe (i hope) and some exorbitant welding and/or plasma cutting. doing this however in a homeshop (professionals in that segment are busy with more profitable stuff) is quite a challenge, an pretty expensive one. getting the hexbar already dialed precisely in on a pretty strong lathe for this design for instance will need quite some ‘special’ equipment, a good 4 jaw chuck. however, I estimate the production of this build around 2000-3000 euro (if you want a ‘sustainable’ activity around PP, with after being 40+ old ). So this would be around +1000 Euro more than the competition which does the thing with the double – triple strength, quality and experience …. That would address the needs and wallets of around 10% of users we encountered til now.

however, from what I see , I can just hope this drive shaft isn’t below 3cm diameter, again … this would rule out also stronger motors

btw. whilst you on it, Is there a reason why nobody updates v3.0 first with all the issues and fixes reported here ?

If you like I can show the design to some professionals (seniors) to get some remarks, for free, before we all blow another 30 tonnes of precious resources on this subject 🙂

Viewing 29 replies - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.