We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

What can be done with Soft PVC fr cable insulation

Tagged: , , ,

Thyagarajan thyaga

What can be done with Soft PVC fr cable insulation

14/03/2019 at 18:04

Greetings,

I have access to soft PVC regrinds from cable insulation. Its scrap after grinding and removing the copper wires. It’s sometimes mixed with other polymers hence not eligible for PVC recycling. I can get between 500 – 1000mt per month. Is there anything which can be done from this waste – ie turning it into some kinda product ? Any input is very much appreciated. You can also email me directly at [email protected] should you want to work together. Cheers!

Attachments:
4 replies
3 subscribers
0 saved
2 likes
sort on date
starter
18/10/2019 at 05:38

Not to discourage too much, but PVC is a tough plastic to work with. It recycles great, but you get HCl byproduct from reheating it that can seriously ruin equipment if it isn’t made of resistant material. Having wires in is probably even tougher if you’re extruding things.
My best suggestion is to separate the wires before grinding. Any extruding separation is going to clog a sieve really quickly.

16/09/2019 at 14:45

have a look at this : https://www.ecomena.org/recycling-pvc/. Check “Vinyloop” and  https://www.recovinyl.com which contains a list of companies. Eventually you find also suitable products and methods.

DIY wise, it might get challenging due to the hazardous properties PVC. For the split process (wire left overs) you could use magnets, no idea; just guessing.

starter
16/09/2019 at 14:35

interested in this topic too, as there are many others products [and lots of industry waste] of soft PVC. so far, the info that I’ve found is that the recycling is pretty similar to the process with rigid PVC.
I’m curious if anyone has more info on this, or made more tests.

also, the only product I’ve seen so far with recycled soft PVC is shoe soles.

starter
16/09/2019 at 10:51

Hello
I’m from Turkey and i have the exact same material and haven’t figured out how to seperate the wires and the pvc from the material. We are thinking of making outdoor floor tiles. First we melted it but the output of the smoke was terrible, then we added epoxy for them to bond an it broke 🙁
Hope to hear your developments.
inci

Attachments:
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪