We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Where the motors may come from

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hansie 3 years ago.

Simon Morrison simonm

Where the motors may come from

05/04/2016 at 13:25

Hi,

I have started to research where I will get the resources from to build my own machines. Our local tip has a tip shop and I went down there today for a poke around. I believe that I will be able to get a lot of the items from there.

Motors however, are a different matter. There wasn’t anything remotely motor looking at the tip shop, so I suspect that I will have to buy old machines and pull them apart to get the motors.

Can people suggest the types of machines that I need to look for that would have the types of motors that I will need.

Thanks

Simon

3 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
08/05/2016 at 07:36

I believe that kind of motors are hard to find from salvage/junk yards, you might consider using car starters, washing machine motors, but not sure if they would work.

starter
08/05/2016 at 15:58

From what I’ve seen, anything that spins can be used to power the shredder. My shredder will be bicycle powered. If you wanted to use washing machine motor I think that would work great. All you will need to do is experiment with different pulley rations. A trip to the salvage yard should produce a verity of pulleys and a serpentine belt from the front of en engine. use the verity to find the most suitable reduction to drive the shedder slowly. A reduction can be achieved by having a small drive side pulley and a larger driven side pulley. the larger difference in size the greater the reduction.

helper
09/05/2016 at 10:28

Some discussion on Motors over here

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪