We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Where to source your parts for Precious Plastic machines – Sorted by Country

Olivier xxxolivierxxx

Where to source your parts for Precious Plastic machines – Sorted by Country

29/11/2016 at 20:35

————————————————————————
UPDATE: With Precious Plastic 3.0, now we have an awesome online Bazar were you can find the parts you need for most of the Precious Plastic machines. I encourage you to take a look around the bazar before sourcing your parts on other places 😀
https://bazar.preciousplastic.com/
————————————————————————

The reason of this topic is to keep a record of recommended places and websites to buy the parts required for the shredder or any of the precious plastic machines. Some people have brought to our attention that they don’t know where to source their laser cut parts, hex bar or motors, so we though it would be a good idea to start a thread with a list of good places to buy your parts categorized by Country.

Feel free to post your suggestions down below and we will update the main topic daily with all the info you provide.
Along with this topic, we want to keep our “Materials worldmap” updated with all the locations you provide, so feel free to update our map by following Dave’s instructions or post your info down below and we will take care of updating it for you.

So… HERE WE GO!

——————————————————————————

COSTA RICA

*Plasma Cut:
One of the companies I found that provides this service at a reasonable price is http://plasmacut.cr/. Just send them an email at [email protected] attaching the .DXF files (either the original files with 27mm hex holes, or the 1″ modified files from keesdeligt), the cost is around 200.000 colones (around $360) and it will take about 1 week for the parts to be ready. Also, note that they only provide plasma cut service, no waterjet, so the cuts won’t be really pretty, you will have to do a lot of cleanup with an angle grinder and sand paper afterwards. The 200.000 colones include Cut + Metal (black metal)

Another company that offers Plasma cutting is BROCAR. They are located in La Uruca and can be contacted through their Facebook site

*Water Jet:
The only company I know in the country that provides this service is SISA. They charge around 270.000 colones just for cutting the shredder parts (no metal included). You can bring your own metal sheets, or they can sell you stainless steel sheets (they don’t have black steel) but the stainless sheets will cost you around 660.000 colones plus the 270.000 of the cutting service plus 100.000 colones of the sales tax (pretty much 1 millón de colones).

*Hex Bar:
In Costa Rica, finding a 27mm is almost impossible (at least it was for me), but 1 inch bars are easier to find.
http://www.cetransa.com/ will make you a inch bar for approximately $60 and will have it ready in less than 3 days. If you decide to get a 1 inch bar for your shredder, make sure that you cut your laser parts with 1 inch hex holes as well, otherwise the knives will fix loose on the bar and will cause the hex bar to lose its shape with time (trust me, I tried it). @keesdeligt uploaded some modified .dxf files with the hex holes reduced to 1″ so you won’t have to complicate yourself 😉

Another option is to buy your bar online from United States and ship it to a Courier service (SmartCourier, Webbox, Aerocasillas, La terminal Express, Red Logistics, etc…)

UNITED STATES

*Hex bar:
I found an awesome website named https://www.onlinemetals.com that sells both 1 inch and 27mm hex bars, so you can chose the one you need according to your needs. Just choose the “One Ft. (12″) Length” option (see *** disclaimer at the bottom of this post), then enter your shipping address, and the site will let you pay either with card or Paypal. 1 ft of 1″ bar is currently priced at $8.74 and 27mm bar (26.99mm) is $9.07.

Also, this website accept coupons, so before placing your order go to https://www.retailmenot.com/view/onlinemetals.com and see if there are any coupons available. I was lucky enough to find a “$50 off from shipping” coupon, so I only had to pay $9 in total for the bar… a total bargain 🙂

Another option is https://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-hex-bars/=1588abp but it’s way more expensive, and they don’t accept purchases made with international card, so it will only work if you are a US resident.

Laser cutting:

Oregon:

@dreek00
recommends the company “BBC Steel”. On his own words: “very nice people and easy to work with”
For prices, please check Andre’s topic at: http://onearmy.world/community/forums/topic/usa-new-price-for-shredder-parts/
Site: http://www.bbcsteel.com/
Direct contact: [email protected]

THE NETHERLANDS

*Lasercutting: Quick and reliable company. The longer you can wait for it the cheaper it gets. (Nowadays for registered companies only 🙁 ) http://247tailorsteel.com/
*Temperature controllers: You can get a set on Ebay for about 20 dollars. Personally I like to get higher quality so occasionally we go to TC-Direct .They sell heating elements, controllers and thermocouples. A bit pricy but good quality
*Scrapyard: Teunissen is a great scrapyard with motors, cables, Hex bar, metal and a lot of other cool stuff. This is also the place where I go in the videos, love it there! Another option would be van Mortel, but this is more focussed on steel material, not so much on parts and motors.

CANADA

*Lasercutting, Hex Bars: @andredeqc can get you laser cut parts and hex bars, or fully assembled shredders. Contact: 4182628101

Ebay Store: http://www.ebay.ca/sch/andredemtl/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

GERMANY

*Full Shredder Kit: @mr-hirn is currently selling complete shredder kits in 2 versions: Stainless Steel and regular Steel. Ships to all Europe for free. You can find his store here:

https://www.diyrecy.eu/cgi-data/Dateien/index.php?cat=c1_Precious-Plastic-Precious-Plastic.html

*Full Shredder Kit: @katharinaelleke is currently organizing groups of people who want to get a shredder build. Current costs:

Ordering 10 Sets or more every now and then (from a company in Braunschweig):
1 MIXED Set for 110€
(including VAT + small processing fee + contribution for Precious Plastic)
MIXED means:
– 5mm parts in stainless steel
– 3mm + 6mm parts in normal steel

Feel free to reach out to her on this topic if you’re interested
http://onearmy.world/community/forums/topic/lasercut-group-orders-gereu/

UNITED KINGDOM

*Shredders: @javierrivera

Javier builds machines and parts in the UK and sells/ships them to all Europe, happy to organize group lasercut orders.. 🙂

You can send him a PM or find him in his Precious Plastic Bazar Store

SERBIA

@emokratia
is building a great list of different places to source your parts for each Precious Plastic machines and the costs of each part.
You can find more info here:

https://goo.gl/1UKfbN

RUSSIA

@drakula16
can make you a mild steel or stainless steel shredder, feel free to contact him for more info

***Quick note on hex bars: The original blueprint suggests to use a 320mm long Hex Bar, but it doesn’t really need to be that long. The suggested hex bar length is intended to allow you to attach a motor on either side of the bar, but for any Precious plastic project you will actually use only one end of the bar, meaning that you can use a shorter bar. The reason I add this disclaimer is because most metal shops will charge you more if you ask them for a custom cut, while you can just purchase the standard 1 foot bar they offer which is 304.8mm (just 15.2mm less) and pay less (you won’t miss that 1.2cm, trust me).

92 replies
31 subscribers
20 saved
19 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
29/11/2016 at 20:58

Nice topic @xxxolivierxxx! Perhaps we can combine it in some way with this topic, its showing on a map where things are located. My spots in the Netherlands are already on there and below you can find them written down. Hope it helps!
THE NETHERLANDS

* Lasercutting: quick and reliable company. The longer you can wait for it the cheaper it gets. (Nowadays for registered companies only 🙁 ) http://247tailorsteel.com/

* Temperature controllers: You can get a set on Ebay for about 20 dollars. Personally I like to get higher quality so occasionally we go to TC-Direct .They sell heating elements, controllers and thermocouples. A bit pricy but good quality

* Scrapyard: Teunissen is a great scrapyard with motors, cables, Hex bar, metal and a lot of other cool stuff. This is also the place where I go in the videos, love it there! Another option would be van Mortel, but this is more focussed on steel material, not so much on parts and motors.

hero
29/11/2016 at 21:02

@davehakkens
Awesome idea, I didn’t know that thread existed (mostly because its buried deep down the forum hahaha). I’ll merge both topics and add your info to the main topic

warrior
29/11/2016 at 21:05

Also came across this hack from a few guys from France, seem like a good way to avoid the hexagon bar. They simple weld a square tube around round bar and edit the laser files. Never tested it myself but looks pretty doable.

Attachments:
hero
29/11/2016 at 21:08

@davehakkens pretty clever idea, although it seems like all the strength is focused on the solder points instead of the whole bar. If the machine gets clogged, a strong motor will probably rip the solder joints apart.

dedicated
03/01/2017 at 04:03

hi @xxxolivierxxx i went to the website they have a lot of different kinds of hex bars. The material matter? Im guessing the one you purchased was the “cold Roll”1018 which is cheaper than
15-5
T-303
T-304/304L
T-316/316L
T-321
T-347

Would any kind work?

hero
03/01/2017 at 04:26

Hey @dreek00
The one I got is “COLD DRAWN COLD ROLL HEX 12L14”, I actually posted direct links to the 1 inch and 27 bars above. @grubby mentioned that this type of metal is a lead alloy and cannot be welded, but welding is not needed on any part of the hex bar so it should be good. I believe it’s not as strong as inox steel, but so far it hasn’t given me any troubles.

helper
31/01/2017 at 02:25

hi
supply from canada i got hex shaft 4 differante leinght to go in accordance of the machine size you want i have for 1 set of knife 6 inch machine 2 set of knife 12 inch machine 3 set of knife 18 inch machine and 4 set of knife 24 inch machine i can also have all the laser cut part to fit those machine

Attachments:
starter
15/02/2017 at 19:50

Anyone considered polytech/trade schools? They are always guaranteed to have the necessary materials, and if you get in at the beginning of a semester you can get a student to build it for cheap

new
08/03/2017 at 18:05

Hi, I need the technical specifications of the motor and reducer for the crusher

new
17/03/2017 at 03:11

Hello. Anyone knows if the people from France shared the files modified with the square axle? Where can i find it?

Thanks

warrior
17/03/2017 at 23:49

Hey @xxxolivierxxx / @davehakkens

Just visited the website you have named for lasercutting in Netherlands (247tailorsteel.com) and figured out that you have to register as a company to proceed.
(The download file is not working on my mac saying it wouldn’t accept windows-software.)

Any tipps how to proceed without having a company or is that the only way to do it?

hero
18/03/2017 at 00:08

Hello @katharinaelleke

@flo-2
and @davehakkens recomended 247tailorsteel but I’m sure there are many other options to source your laser cut parts.

Flo, Dave, if you could give Katharina any tips that would be awesome.

The Precious Plastic files package is a .zip with pdfs, images and Adobe files, you should be able to open it on any computer without issues.
Here I leave you the link: https://preciousplastic.com/en/videos/download/

warrior
18/03/2017 at 00:25

Hi!

@xxxolivierxxx
@katharinaelleke yes, unfortunately you have to register as a company even to download the sophia tool. I asked @davehakkens via pm about it, he said that he has got a company and he thinks he used it. Luckily I got help from a colleague who owns a company himself, so I was able to order two sets through it.
If you manage to get a company you can “use”, I recommend ordering there, as they are fast, reliable and have great support too! (I am not payed to write this 😉 )

So ask your family, friends, friendly neighbours, someone for sure has some opportunities. And of course as stated by @xxxolivierxxx there are many other Lasercutting companies as well! 🙂

warrior
18/03/2017 at 10:38

Thanks for the information @xxxolivierxxx and @flo-2!
What price did you pay for your sets there?

warrior
18/03/2017 at 10:57

@katharinaelleke you’re welcome! I bought two sets for ~410€ total incl. Shipping. I did wait 2 weeks for it. If I wanted it earlier, the price would have been ~150€ higher, however choosing a later delivery day would have reduced the costs only by a few Euros per week…

starter
15/06/2017 at 16:45

Hello everyone

Just wanted to let you know I got a new quote from plasmacut in Costa Rica and it seems their prices have gone slightly down as of 6/13/2017 they quoted 170.000 Colones which is about $300.

Attachments:
hero
16/06/2017 at 04:08

@osvega Good to see that.
Just as a note, I noticed that they mentioned the metal gauge in inches, however, the original design from Dave was created in metric units. I know there are a few people around the forum who have attempted to convert the shredder from metric to imperial units but no one has reported success with those files yet.
Here’s my quote from May 2016

Attachments:
warrior
05/07/2017 at 00:04

Since we had two group orders here already:
LASERCUTTING in GERMANY:
Schnabel Metalldrücktechnik

In group orders (10 sets or more) we got the following prices:
1) Mixed set for 80€
(5mm parts will be stainless steel and 3mm + 6mm parts will be normal steel)
2) Stainless steel set for 227€
(completely stainless)

+ shipping

I happened to be the one organising the orders, so anyone interested can contact me 🙂

hero
06/07/2017 at 19:50

Thank you @katharinaelleke
I’ll add you under the Germany cathegory 🙂
Also, I would like to mention that @mr-hirn has an online store where he sells full shredder kits as well. Depending on which part of Germany you live, shipping might be cheaper if you get your shredders from him.

helper
09/07/2017 at 19:08

@xxxolivierxxx
Thanks for edding me. Maybe its important to mention that we are shipping our parts all over Europe. Not only in Germany. Shipping is for free.

warrior
14/07/2017 at 19:24

Oh yah, forgot to say that.
Shipping costs:
15€ in Germany
20-35€ to other european countries
(so far we had Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden and Finland)

helper
24/07/2017 at 00:12

Hi Katharina, we are trying to build a shredder machine in Serbia (Belgrade). Would it be possible to send water-jet cut pieces there? We are interested for the mixed set.. also we would like only one set but if there is some group order we would be happy to join in…
Thanks!!!

warrior
26/07/2017 at 09:11

@emokratia, unfortunately I don’t have a good contact for water jet cut (yet), would you still like to join the order for a lasercut set?
Will ask about shipping to Belgrade 🙂

Would be great if you can also ask around if there are some lasercut companies in Serbia and which prices you get there if you order a higher quantity of sets!

helper
27/07/2017 at 14:59

@katharinaelleke
, thanks for info… we would be interested to join the order if the price is 80eur, but how long it might take to be done? we would like to get started..
also, i find it a bit strange that lasercut is cheaper than waterjet.. all i could find in serbia is that laser cut is more expensive..
for the bulk orders mixed set in waterjet could be around 200eur..

warrior
27/07/2017 at 21:59

@emokratia That’s interesting! During my research I asked a water jet cut company and they told me right away that they COULD make an offer, but that it would cost a multiple of lasercutting. They told me that there are many orders that are cheaper with water jet than laser, but that one definitively NOT being such a case.

warrior
27/07/2017 at 23:30

Yap, interesting indeed. I got similar information like @flo-2, water-jet cut is more expensive at most of the companies I spoke to!

@emokratia
, it is depending on how quick we get a few more people to join the order. As soon as we can order, it will probably take around 3 weeks.
Can you send me the address where your set should be sent to (via mail)?
Then I can check it out. 🙂

starter
14/08/2017 at 22:34

I’m really a beginner and I want to know what is and where do I find the piece that put the hexagon bar and the blades on there places to roll. It’s the blue piece on the 3:13 of the shredder building video.

Attachments:
helper
15/08/2017 at 00:03

Hey @iago !
It is a bearing (rolamento), this type of bearing got many names, Mounted bearing, Pillow Block bearing, Flange Bearing or a mixture of those name, technical name is “UCFL 204”.

Here is one from AliExpress with a good price; https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FL204-20mm-Bore-Self-aligning-Flange-Bearing-UC204/32795341714.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.wH1S84

starter
15/08/2017 at 02:38

Thank you very much @ashrak! Now I’m one step closer to build! 🙂

helper
15/08/2017 at 02:51

Good luck @iago !

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪