We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Who needs a shredder?

Timmy Martin timmy

Who needs a shredder?

08/05/2016 at 05:12

Hello, my name is Timmy Martin. I’m from Dallas, Texas and I have a shredder in the works, but there is an opportunity to bring the cost down and help some of you with getting your shredders. As some of you know, the struggle to find metric thicknesses in the US is very real. The shop I’m working with is able to get it, but the cost is high for whole sheets of metric stainless steel. If some of you are willing to split the cost of materials we can all benefit. Just for example if it were to cost $2000 to cut and machine the parts for one machine it may only cost $2500 to cut and machine the parts for four more. meaning each of us would only spend $500 each. I will ask that you cover the shipping because some of you are quite far away and these things are not going to be lightweight.

Please feel free to contact me if you are interested. [email protected]

6 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Who needs a shredder?

hero
17/05/2016 at 03:07

Looking forward to hear back from you 😀

starter
17/05/2016 at 04:06

Update: right now all I have is a ball park figure of $1000 for three shredder units cut, machined, and welded. Olivier and Santiago are the only people to get back to me so far, but the more people get in on it the lower the price per unit will drop. Kevin, the machinist working on this, is redrawing the the plans to work with standard sized sheets of stainless steel. He is definitely a believer in the cause and wants to keep the costs as low as he can for us. Hopefully the other folks in Texas are interested in coming on board.

starter
17/05/2016 at 05:53

While researching prices for the shredder I realized just how much metric metal costs here in the states, so far I’ve opted to use English thicknesses, So far it looks good, I just have to redraw the box assembly (the 3 mm sheet).

helper
19/05/2016 at 12:22

isn’t it a option to convert al of this to your (obsolete 🙂 ) American or imperial systems, and than just pick the one that’s closest to conventional sizes where you live? you might have to do some calculating and modifications to the files, but I don’t think it would make a huge difference?

i fail to see why you would pay such huge amounts of money while it is possible to just do a few calculations and than use the local (cheaper) sizes

hero
13/12/2016 at 20:17

@rocklead112763
In case you are still interested, one of our forum members converted the shredder drawings to imperial units. No one have tested cutting a shredder with his drawings yet but theoretically, they should work just fine. More info here:
http://onearmy.world/community/forums/topic/plans-in-standard-units-not-metric/

dedicated
19/12/2016 at 16:52

Hey Tim I am interested send me an email [email protected] from NJ

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪