We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Working on Recycling Start Up in Ottawa, Canada!

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Really Horrible Enterprises 2 years ago.

Heather Jeffery re4mottawa

Working on Recycling Start Up in Ottawa, Canada!

10/04/2016 at 20:14

Hello!
My name is Heather, I am the Founder of Re4m. Which is a recycling start up company in Ottawa, ON. My friend forwarded me information about Precious Plastic through facebook and I am in love with this idea! Kudos to you @davehakkens and the rest of Precious Plastic team. Re4m would love to implement these tools and machines into our business model immediately. We were trying to get local recycling plants on board but that was a “no-go” and this is a much better, cost efficient solution!
Re4m is a company that wants to focus on reducing waste in the retail industry by taking retailer waste and transforming it into interior decor and display units for retail stores. We have converted vinyl records from a music store into shelving, coffee burlap bags into upholstery, and old display units into light fixtures. Now we want to take LDPE film bags (the bags used in shipping almost all consumer product) and turn it into products for retailers (ie. clothes hangers, waste bins, product display items, bowls etc) Has anyone played around with film plastics yet and plastic bags? We are thinking of sheet forming and injection molding. Thanks and good luck to everyone! and if you are in the mood for it, check out our website and facebook page to see what we have been up to!

Attachments:
6 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
starter
21/04/2016 at 17:47

Hi I am Joshua Majchrzak Hey this is cool check out what I am doing. @JoshuaUpStart Maybe we can work together in the future

I also tried the same thing nobody wants to help like that. So I just collect from 51 stores in the town I live in.

Future director of Pegasus

starter
25/04/2016 at 01:11

Hi Joshua ( @pegasus ) Thank you for your reply! I saw your instagram feed. Your projects look great! We are hoping to come up with a few of precious plastic’s machines this summer and get to work on producing products using lDPE. Have you used that type of plastic before? Also where abouts are you located? Great job and keep up the good work!

helper
25/04/2016 at 01:44

Hi @re4mottawa

I’m an Materials Engineer with masters degree on Polymers
If you need any help, please ask me

best regards

starter
25/04/2016 at 05:19

Located in USA Ashland Oregon

I know LDPE can be used but I am mostly using 2 and 5 types. I am currently working on a 3D printing project so my R&D for making filaments is on hold until it is finished. I know one thing though. The smaller the pellets are the Easier it is to manipulate the plastic in general. Allows for uniform melting and reduced air pockets that I have had problems with.

Since this type is mostly plastic bags you are going to want to use a type of shredder of some kind. Then grind it so it is a powder.

Or cut it up and put it in a top feed heater/extruder allowing gravitational forces to force the material through a die that has a motorized cuter blade on the other side that drops it into a bin with cold water shooting across it to flash cool the plastic. Then dry it. Makes the plastic more useful in this form. Next you can put it in a injection mold or extrud it and whatever else.

Future Directior of Pegasus

starter
25/04/2016 at 05:44

Can you tell me more about what stage you are at right now in your company. Like what you are able to do with the plastic.

I see mostly records being repurposed.
Using a heat gun. Cool stuff. I like it.

I understand that you want to use LDPE I would suggest making it into fibers like for fabric or rope like material. Which can be used to make clothes and backpacks/ handbags. Since it is mostly used for bags. It is a good idea. I have seen it done before.

starter
27/04/2016 at 17:00

I watched every video on Dave’s YouTube channel the night before last, and am very interested in this project as well. I’m a small entrepreneur in Ottawa (same as you) and think that this process would work very well for a project I have in mind, replacing the cement that I was going to use.

I know a bunch of woodworking, CNC, laser, and metal-working guys who can help get a leg up on the dies and machine construction. I’m going to want to find a space to do this in, though. Maybe we should collaborate. I don’t think these are the kinds of machines that are going to be in constant use. A shredder (obviously) and extrusion machine are what interest me the most.

I’m just starting my exploration into this, so I’m sure to have more info and questions soon.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.