We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

working with PLASTIC BAGS

• This topic has 34 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Guoda.
Björn Steinar Blumenstein bjornsteinar

working with PLASTIC BAGS

22/06/2017 at 09:31

It´s a known fact that plastic bags can be ironed and reused some purposes, but an awful lot of the objects produced with this method look a bit sloppy compared to products on the market. So in this post I trace the steps of how I try to find an easy way of producing nice looking materials (similar to http://www.riceandcarry.com) and objects using minimal tools that are
available or easily accessible (basically just an iron, baking paper, piece of wood and textile).

My aim is to find a technique so simple that it can be applied to any type of plastic bag, regardless of different plastic. After a few failed experiments (too cold iron or too hot) the same temperature was used for all experiments to simplify the procedure. The temperature used for all the experiments is set on cotton on the iron (around 205 celsius).

Attachments:
34 replies
12 subscribers
8 saved
5 likes
sort on date
starter
27/01/2018 at 15:31

Nine work u shoul yry a heet gun

helper
04/10/2017 at 15:27

@bjornsteinar, this is an image about how Gafreh works. As you can see, it’s all very low-tech 🙂 Mostly manual labor.

Attachments:
helper
11/09/2017 at 23:03

@bjornsteinar, It’s beautiful! What kind of plasticbags do you use? LPDE OR HPDE?

starter
22/06/2017 at 09:51

Ironed plastic + shredder

The next step was trying to find ways of joining pieces smoothly together to make a larger surface (did not work smoothly). I fused together a few layers of plastic bags and shredded it in a paper shredder to get thick strips that I later ironed back together.

Material: Layered plastic bags.
Method: Ironed on both sides with baking paper. Folded together and ironed again to get a thick
material. Cut down to small pieces and ironed together.
Up-side: Thick and sturdy material.
Down-side: Difficult to arrange pieces to prevent holes, varies a lot in thickness and surface is rough.

Attachments:
Viewing 4 replies - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪