Forum Replies Created
Hi @plaskot I am more than happy to help you design a logo! Unfortunately, this hasn’t gone ahead yet. But I do have some files which I can share with you.
My personal email is [email protected] . Send me an email and we can start working on this.
Also apologies for the delay in response, I was out of action for a while.
d o p e <3
Hello guys, I will be wrapping up foils and putting it on hold until the new year. So I thought I would catch you up with what I have learnt so far. In the past week, I tested a sheet combining the mixed categorised clean shreds that floated, with LDPE strips (shopping bags) and some PP films. The bottom of the sheet was the shreds, and the top I placed the strips of LDPE and PP films. I put it in at 230 degrees for an hour, which unfortunately was too hot, and got very very stuck to mould… However, I would like to test this again, as I think if I did it slightly cooler around 200 degrees, it would have been successful.
I also tested playing with a heat gun and moulding it around something, which could propose more ideas for the potential for the thin and flexibility properties of this material.
Reflecting and looking back, even though I have only worked on films for a few weeks, I have really enjoyed it and I see a lot of potential working with the material. Its flexibility and strength is very cool, and also playing with strong graphical elements such as the labels, warning signs, typography etc. can make each sheet / product unique to one another. I also think the ironing technique works well, and for a low skilled application, it proves to be successful (Bori’s images above). I still would also like to develop this folding and bending idea, if you look at the post below you can see the mudguard product ‘Ass Saver’ they have designed their guards to be made from one single sheet which you snap and bend into place, which I think would work well to be made from PE films and some PP foils! So to conclude, still lots of potential with the films and foils which I will hopefully revisit back in the New Year, and if not I will attend to this in my free time outside of V4 working days. Goodbyeeeeee plastic film enthusiasts 🙂
Some more images of the bike guard and the plastic in the mould pre baking 🙂
Hi to those reading 🙂 I thought I would keep you updated with what I am working on, I tried to post on Friday but DH seemed to be down. Sooo over the past week, I made a few new sheets, 1 turned out successful – yay! The other two not so much. As you can see (first image) the sheet came out really well, it was a mix of LDPE (mainly LDPE) and PP foils. Before putting it in the oven I cut the bags and foils into strips, which allowed me to control the design of the sheet, which was nice. I particularly like working with the strong graphics in the films. I placed 150g of plastic for 1 hour at 200 degrees. However the second image, same conditions but came out very weird, I think it was down to their not being enough pressure in the mould whilst the plastic was heated. But I now know that around 150g of plastic gives me the density and thickness that I want, so I can carry on this ‘cutting and folding’ technique with the sheets that I spoke about in my previous post. The last image you can see where I have started to cut into the plastic and making new forms, and it holds well which is great. I still want to carry on with the bike mudguard product as I think it’d be a great material for it.
Jas1092, it’d be great to know if you think is a good idea, and whether it could be useful as a construction material! I was thinking of having big plastic corrugated sheets as shelters, but obviously, plastic that has a direct UV sunlight over a period of time can be very bad….
Hey guys, I’m Charlotte a designer working on V4, I am now taking over the foils project from Bori and Louis. Looking at all their thorough research it has allowed me to see what materials work well together once heated and what don’t. For instance, the foils like crisp packets and biscuit wrappings don’t heat together well, so Bori and Louis have been mixing it with LDPE to bind it together, which has worked. This is my first week working on it, and so far this is what I’ve done, Louis made a nice big mould so we could test with larger sheets which is great. We can also control the thickness of the sheet with this mould also – suuuuuuuuper cool and helpful.
Currently, I am focusing on the LDPE and HDPE films, once heated they present a flexible material which I instantly was attracted too. I also noticed that once you score into the sheets you can turn it into a 3D object, and it holds well, how long for I don’t know.
So I am now looking at designing a bike mudguard from the LDPE plastic, it seems like a great use for the films, bendy and hard wearing. The plan is to make a sheet and create cuttings, that once bent will form a mudguard structure.
Would love to know if anybody has experience in this origami style structures with bendy thin plastic like this.
Thank you everyone for commenting with advice and suggestion, super helpful. Here are a few of the logos I have come up with over the past couple weeks, I’d like to know your thoughts on them, likes, dislikes etc.