We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

ReTie – Locally produced reusable cable ties

Tagged: 

NicLaz niclaz

ReTie – Locally produced reusable cable ties

10/11/2017 at 01:43

Hey amazing people!

Nic here, been following PreciousPlastic (or what was plastic is precious) since v1 – love how the project has evolved and been community driven. A big *hat tip* to Dave and the whole core team. Love your work.

Here is an idea I have had for a project to design a better reusable cabletie/tiewrap/ziptie – the idea being people in local community can provide plastic household waste and we create a usable everyday product that can (ideally) last a lifetime. Below is a link to slides I put together for a funding pitch at the Awesome Foundation Amsterdam this September.

The idea is completely in the public domain, I merely came up with it, and if you want to implement it or want to more about the design I have in mind (and will hopefully start prototyping to go through iterations of the design) just shoot me a message – happy to collaborate on this and to cocreate a better design. For now:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/16FN3CTNFCV2cce761We6APoaPwZ5875V8vc9KcTcl2U/preview

Attachments:
5 replies
3 subscribers
1 saved
3 likes
sort on most likes
starter
17/11/2017 at 12:55

Great idea. Making consumables out of recycled materials is often overlooked.

The principle of this would be simple, the tricky part is such a precise mold and machine efficiency. I can’t see why it could not be done though as it would only be the injection mold process that would need playing with.

dedicated
21/11/2018 at 09:55

recycled plastic often overlooked because of this..

so this community is a big step forward to give new perspective on waste 🙂
thank you dave & team.. 😀

warrior
21/11/2018 at 14:37

Just wondering which particular polymer you are thinking of using for these cable ties?

There is a good reason why ties are normally made from a material such as Nylon (polyamide).  It has a higher tensile strength than most “packaging plastics” – especially the ones that can be most easily reprocessed from sorted waste (eg. polypropylene, HD Polyethylene).

See Tensile Strength of Polymers on MatWeb.

dedicated
26/11/2018 at 00:44

Awesome idea!

starter
26/11/2018 at 03:07

Maybe you could mix in some fibers to the melt to boost the tensile strength?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪